Have you used Angel Food Ministries? What did you think?

I know I asked a similar question yesterday but I was hoping there are a different set of moms on tonight that might have their own views.
I am looking into the Holiday basket for Christmas and also the fruit basket but it seems like when I do the $$ it is really at a retail rate unless I am not understanding the quantities. Thanks.....Julie

mom2priceboys

Asked by mom2priceboys at 12:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• To be honest, I wasn't thrilled. For what I paid, I could have gone to WalMart and gotten the same thing, in fact, I have, and we would have had a batter selection... I guess if you're in an area where WalMart or Aldi isn't an option for food, AF isn't a bad option, but they really weren't anything special...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i havent done it, but i know well of what you speak of. i think they are fantastic deals. and i do believe if you receive foodstamps, you can purchase them with those.
    .Yours.Truly.

Answer by .Yours.Truly. at 12:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have no idea what it is therefore have not. sorry
    kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yourstruly, no food stamps here we got off them last Jan but only have about $300 a month for groceries for a family of 4 - 3 males, 2 are tweenage boys eaters. and..
    Sabrina we have a regular WM in our town then 45 miles away a big WM but my biggest saver is WinCo. No Aldi's, I live in California so also no double coupons either :(
    Our closest AF is a little over an hour away so I would need to order several baskets to make it worthwhile this is why I keep asking the same question hahaha
    Thanks.....Julie
    mom2priceboys

Comment by mom2priceboys (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Honestly what I've found has saved me the most money is to find local produce markets and only buy produce that is in season, or buy frozen produce. As far as meats, find a local butcher that offers meat packets. I bought a 40lb meat packet for $130 three weeks ago, and we still have over half of it left. Granted, we did have to supplement with a little bit of chicken breast and ground turkey, but we got meats like pork roast, beef roast, steaks, ground beef, boneless spare ribs, a whole chicken, chicken thighs, sausage, bacon, pork chops. All that for only $130 and it's great quality meats. And I have a hubby who eats a lot, and 2 boys 13 and 11, and my dd who is 6 and she eats a lot too. She's always goign through growth spurts lol! And buying lots of dried beans, potatoes, and pastas! That saves me $$. I have looked at angel food, but honestly it doesn't seem that good of a deal to me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have seen it and the quality looks very poor. The meat looks awful. I think I could save money buy pieceing it together myself.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Really not worth it unless you live somewhere that groceries are ridiculously expensive (like Alaska or Hawaii). Everything that's in there you can get for far less by shopping carefully and using coupons. Plus most of it is processed convenience foods so it's loaded down with salt and chemicals. For what you spend on the box you could make most of it from scratch for half the cost and not gain 20 lbs when it's all gone.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have ordered it and picked it up for the first time in september and I ordered the boutiful blessing box and the chicken special box (10 pounds) of what they called chicken nuggets---it was not chicken nuggets they were chicken strips as big as the palm of you hand all white meat----yummy I was thrilled. I was going to order two thanksgiving baskets if the bountiful blessing box looked good and a fruit one (5 boxes total) to make the drive worth while it is about a 45 minute drive, but I didn't I am short on freezer room and it is not cold enough to have frozen stuff outside in coolers buried in the snow--LOL(Just can't forget where I buried it---LOL), Maybe I will do that with the christmas boxes instead---then I know there will be snow!! (I live in MN---Endless amounts of cold storage options around her dec-march---lol)
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I haven't the closest is 7 hours away from me but from what I have read it sounds like something I would do if I could
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2010