my family says I'm being dramatic, but I think I have every reason to worry..

After completing a full physical, my doctor sent referrals for me to see a cardiologist and a hemotologist. The fact that the hemotology and oncology departments are essentially the same thing freaks me out enough as it is. I'm very concerned that there is something seriously wrong with me, and everyone in my family keeps telling me that they highly doubt anything is wrong and that they are just covering their bases....and basically that I need to stop acting like a drama queen.

If your doctor was concerned about a possible arythmia, and sent you to a hemotologist because you had low red blood cells count, would you be worried?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 12:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Health

• I would be worried and take the precautions form the Dr very seriously...even if nothing comes out of it you are doing what you need to make sure everything is okay. They just might not want to dwell on the possibilities so they blow things off like it is nothing...dont dwell on their lack of understanding and just get things looked at. Good luck!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• well....i used to work for a hematologist/oncologist having low red blood cells dosen't mean you have cancer, it can be from alot of other things besides cancer that's why your doctor referred you, to get everything tested GL calm down you'll be fine :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'd be worried about anything abnormal, but hem/onc are usually joined because they both deal with blood issues like leukemia, blood platelets, anemia, etc. It sounds like you are going to see them because your RBC count was low. They just want to rule everything out. There are disorders in which a low RBC count can trigger an arrythmia.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have an arrythmia, i have had it all my life and it's not the bad kind. He may just be wanting to check and make sure. As far as the hematologist goes, they study anything having to do with the blood so I wouldn't just jump to conclusions on that one either. There are quite a few causes of low red blood cells, and not all of them are really bad either. So I say just try to relax (I know its hard, I have generalized anxiety disorder and always assume the worst), and go get your testing done asap so you can get some relief!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have gone to a hematologist when I was wow like 5. My mom is Anemic and Hypoglycemic with no known cause, so ever since I can remember the doctor always tested my iron, red blood cells, and sugar levels. You could possibly have developed Anemia. The last time I was at the doctor he had a little concern because of my blood work done post-miscarriage.

Have you recently given birth? I am just asking because I shit you not...my first pregnancy made my Asthma go from mild to severe and the second that I lost, ever since, I have had trouble keeping my glucose level. Pregnancy does some damage.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I definitely don't think I have cancer...but even having iron levels that low is very bad. And I'm not saying I have major worries about my life coming to an end, or anything else in that magnitude. But I also don't think I'm being sent to see specialists for a pat on the head, as they are making it seem.
    art.diva

Comment by art.diva (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2010