Running

I want to start running ... and know that I need to start slow, but other than that - have no idea where to start! Do you have tips on getting and staying motivated, what keeps you occupied during your run, websites/blogs that are encouraging? Words of wisdom welcome:) Thanks!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 1:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I just got back into it. I run a block, walk a block, and I will go up from there. There are some local trails that I run, because pavement is hard on the joints. I use mapmyrun.com, and there's actually an iPhone app so you can use GPS, which is nice. Sparkpeople.comhas great info, and great motivational stuff. Pick up a copy of a running magazine, and tear out motivating pictures and put them up where you will see them. Invest in some great running shoes, and set out everything you need so it's always available. Congrats on your decision to run! I love it! :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would recommend that you check out coolrunning.com

Do the couch to 5K program. It will get you to run a 5K in 8 weeks. ( 3.1 miles) Dh did it and lost over 40 lbs and just ran a 5K in 27 minutes. I ran it in 32 minutes ( I'm also a foot shorter than him so my stride is smaller)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i agree with misicpisces. When I started running I started at two miles and would start walking a block then run as far as I possibly could, walk another block run as far as I could again and so on. Within about a month or two I was running the whole thing and going farther.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 10:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010