Keeping a miscarriage? Has anyone ever heard of this?

I came across an article about a woman who kept her miscarried baby. Took it home from the hospital and put clothes on it!! Kept it! For weeks on end! Had her other kids hold it and take pictures with it. The kids look terrified! I didn't know the hospital would allow you to take your miscarried child home. I thought I had heard it all. Anyone else familiar with this story or any other story like this? I'm dumbfounded!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I miscarried/still birth at 24/25 weeks, and I actually did hold the baby, took a picture, named him, and I think we dressed him. We had a funeral service. It was just a good way for us to say goodbye. Everyone grieves differently. I didn't have other kids at the time. If I had, I'm not sure if I would have let them see the baby, or if that would have just terrified them. I can't see bringing the baby home for days though, that would have just been morbid IMHO. But, everyone does different things when they go through it so I can't judge.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That is sad. I am in the same boat as you. I miscarried around 24 weeks and I did not want to see the baby. Now I wonder if that was wrong. I had a cousin that miscarried much earlier than I and had a service and whole funeral for the baby. Named the little one and everything. It makes me wonder if I did something wrong. Bus as someone else mentioned we all grieve differently. That story crossed the line in my book though.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Do you have a link?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• hmmmm....well I know a woman who miscarried at 18 weeks (baby passed away at 15 weeks) and she wanted to take the baby home to bury him in her yard. They took pictures, hung them on the walls in their home, had a memorial service, etc. People all grieve differently.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure why, but I searched it... I didn't find any with pictures of the baby dressed. I only found one picture, of a mom holding a TINY, very red, baby.. It is really sad. I'm wondering if the mom OP's talking about needed some help to cope... Idk, I guess it's her way of grieving.
    I do have a friend on here that miscarried days before her due date. One night before bed the baby was fine, moving like crazy, the next he wasn't moving, and had passed. They dressed him, took pictures of him and had a "wake" type service. Then he was cremated and they did keep his ashes on the mantle.. It's so sad in any case! :(
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 2:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Just google woman keeps miscarriage. There are quite a few.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I've heard of that. I'm thinking it may have been that, and it was made to look like something else. I thought about that too. I guess when I had mine, I didn't want to see anything. Look, or hold. This is very strange to me. Trying to bring the link back up and can't find it now!!!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Melbornj I don't think we did anything wrong. It's how we dealt with it. I guess it just goes to show how differently people deal with loss. It makes me wonder about the psycological realm, and what takes us there.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Never heard of "keeping" the miscarry, but I know someone who lost a baby very early on and wanted to take it so they could have a service and cremate it.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yes I saw the one you are talking about. I guess it wasn't about one post in general, but there is a website called miscarriages of love and they dress them up and take photos. I'm not talking about late pregnancy. I understand totally. And we did the same thing for my cousin who died at birth. They were referring to a 14 week fetus. But yes, to each his own.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss April! :( That's got to be hard!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2010