can anybody tell me how to potty train my son?

singlemom200839

Asked by singlemom200839 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is between the ages of one and two come back and ask the same question in a year or two.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We just used the 3 Day Method with our son at 25 months, and it went really well. I would highly recommend it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I've been reading both the 3 Day Method and How to Potty Train Boys, and for us, the How to Potty Train Boys is a better method. He will be 3 in January, not in preschool or daycare, so I don't need to train him in 3 days. It's taken me many weeks just to get him to sit on his potty. Best advice I've gotten once you're ready to do it (and assuming your son is too) is to have him start out bare-bottomed, that way you can easily keep an eye out if he's about to pee (or poop) - if he's had a drink about 30 minutes before (my son takes longer), the penis tends to get erect when pee is about to come.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 2:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• wat is the 3 day method?
    singlemom200839

Comment by singlemom200839 (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Don't rush it and make it a huge deal with your child. I've noticed a lot of the children who are 4 and still not potty trained resent the potty because they were forced into it by parents. My daughter will be 2 in January, and she loves to sit on the potty but won't ever do anything...and that is enough for now. When she is ready she will do it on her own and after a lot of congratulating and probably a toy or something to con her into continuing to potty in the toilet hopefully she will get it. Depending on how interested your child is I would make using the potty a big deal and talk about how cool it is to say bye bye to poop and be a big boy and get big boy undies and a cool potty and see how he responds.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The 3 Day Method is an e-book about potty training. Everyone I know who has tried it and been consistent and patient with it has had success. You can PM me if you're interested. It suggests that you put underwear on the child instead of going bare, so they can better feel when they have an accident. It's worth reading through it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Try throwing cheerios in the toilet and telling him to try to pee in the middle of them. Make it a game somehow.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 6:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The neighbors could not get their son potty trained for anything. My husband jokingly offered the little boy a jumbo-sized bag of M&M's all to himself if he would use the toilet. Within a two days he was using the toilet like a pro. Didn't work on our son, so I can't make any promises.
    TameraR

Answer by TameraR at 6:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• lol thank you
    singlemom200839

Comment by singlemom200839 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010