I seriously need fashion advice; what should I do?

I don't really have friends who can help me. I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit, don't match, or are just downright dorky. I try, I really do, but stuff never looks as good on me at home as it does in the store. I RARELY buy new clothes, but I had a baby last year and even though I'm almost back to my original weight, it's all distributed differently. When I need to dress up for church, I want to cry, but I'm so afraid of going clothes shopping with the same results. WHAT CAN I DO?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 2:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• go through magazines or pick out picture on the internet of clothes you like and try to find similar matches. Don't go overboard though. I know I can't pull off most of the things in the magazines but love the boots or would like to find a shirt similar but maybe with different pants. Make it your style! And I am all about thrift shopping and bargain hunting... I never pay more than $10 for anything I buy, but I feel I have good style :)
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• where do you buy your clothing? if its in a certain store, don't they usually have manikins or displays set up? there's no shame in buying an outfit that is already put together, like in the window or on the display. take those as your cues, and if you don't like the color, buy the shirt or whatever in a different color. also, about the distribution of weight-issue: don't forget that foundation-garments are very important. have you been fit for a bra since your baby/weight loss? you may be wearing the wrong size bra now, and that will make a difference in how well a top/shirt/blouse looks/fits, too. if your tummy is still to flabby, you can wear a 'smoothing tank' underneath your shirts..it will hide the flab by holding it in and smoothing it, so that it doesn't go everywhere. (for lack of a better way to say it)

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• also, remember to buy clothing that fits the biggest area, then worry about the rest. if you need a bigger shirt due to large boobalas, buy a bigger shirt. nothing looks worse than clothing too small on a body that is bigger than it used to be. most of the time, its just a one-size difference that will make the whole look better.
    you can purchase some basic pieces, like pants/skirts/a good pair of jeans, then mix them up with tops and accessories, to either dress it up or down. accessories can make a 'boring' clothes look totally different. also, if you think you've overdone it with the accessories, take one thing off .
    wear the clothes; don't let them wear you.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• depending on where you go they usually have people there that can help you.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 6:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Instead of copying/pasting what dullscissors said and saying, "yep, this," I'm just going to vote her answers up. Good advice.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010