Do you think walkers delay walking?

Debating on getting my 8 month old DS a walker... He is crawling very well and he loves his jumper. I am worried that perhaps a walker might stall his ability to walk on his own? Any thoughts? Thanks!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 2:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I really don't think they make a difference. I had one with my oldest girl and she walked at 9 mos. I didn't use one with my youngest boy and he was 13 mos. I doubt it has anything to do with it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure about walkers but we bought dd an exersaucer bouncer and she still walked at 9 months. I can't imagine it causing delays unless a parent left a child in it all day and never gave them the opportunity to explore uninhibited.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 2:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't think so unless the kid sits in the thing all day.  We got one for our oldest.  She showed no sign of wanting to walk until she used the walker then she started pulling up and cruising.  My son also used it and was walking at 10 months.  My middle daughter used it, too, but mostly just got pushed around the house by her older siblings (we had hardwood).  She started walking a few days after she turned 1.  My youngest dd never used it and was walking 1 week before she turned one.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• my daughter used one and walked before a yr old
    .Yours.Truly.

Answer by .Yours.Truly. at 2:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i dont think it makes that much of a difference to be honest, my daughter never used one and was still later with walking about 14mths, so i think a child will walk when they are ready,
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I dont think so.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I dont think they do, I think that as long as you are not leaving them in it all day and letting them have time to explore on the floor and helping to teach them stand up to things and walk by holding on to your hands that a walker is just another toy. The only way that I could see it hindering learning to walk would be if the child sat in it all day and didnt have the opportunity to get down and learn how to do it on their own. One of my children had a walker and the other didnt, both of them started walking on their own right around a year, my son used the walker and walked a few weeks sooner than my daughter.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't see why it would. i would think it would be more beneficial. Although I have heard people say that it doesn't strengthen their leg muscles.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wouldnt suggest buying a walker, if your child is watched that is. I dont really like walkers for one reason: look at how a child stands in a walker.. slouched back or forward, not exactly teacher them balance. buy your child a walk along toy that they hold.. your child will learn to cruise around holding the furniture before you know it!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 10:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think every child is different. My daughter started walking right after her 1st birthday and my son starting walking at a little over 9 months old. I didn't use a walker with either of my children. I did however have walking toys that they could hold onto and walk with.
    MomToLilAngel

Answer by MomToLilAngel at 3:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2010