How do you go about getting started with the adoption process?

We are thinking of adopting. We prefer to adopt a healthy little girl, between the ages of 0-5. We don't have much money, but own a home and have good jobs. Not sure if fostering is the way to go for us - too difficult to give them up.

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Adoption

• Contact your county children services group. They will direct you in classes they would prefer you to take. Then you will have to go through a home study and fingerprinting. After this you will probably be put on a list to receive a child. The difficult part is the wait for the child and then be prepared for the wait after you receive the child. This is the part nobody likes to talk about. Depending on your state and county, rules vary. I waited for 2 and half years to get my adoption finalized with my daughter, you might not have to though. Please take my advice and get an attorney and make sure the attorney specializes in adoption. That is extremely important. The attorney can lead you into the state laws and you will then have a better understanding of what you will have to do.
    If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Amanda964

Answer by Amanda964 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I was adopted from birth.My mom said the best way 2 do it for her was through an adoption lawyer.That as a surprise to herself was cheaper than some agency.
    Sarah-Jeanne

Answer by Sarah-Jeanne at 1:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We went through an agency. We talked to adoption attorney's and agencies and decided that the agency was he best way for us to go. Just contact some lawyers and ask them questions, most of them will give you a free consultation
    shanamarie

Answer by shanamarie at 1:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I am a birth mother. Right before my daughter was placed, the family she was supposed to go to thru the adoption agency had also gone thru their church and was notified that there was a baby for them. So...my daughter went to a different home. I truly believe everything happens for a reason. This was 25 yrs ago and since then my birth daughter and I have reunited, but my sugguestion is if you are a member of a church you might try that route. Best of luck to you.
    judy
    jaeann123

Answer by jaeann123 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• if it may be difficult to give up a child you are fostering, i think you may wish to consider that adopted children often establish strong on-going bonds with their natural families, even with closed adoptions entailing decades of separation. adoption is not the same as giving birth as there are more than 2 parents involved. if your child decided to legally and emotionally return to their original family again, as a teenage or an adult, would you be able to handle it? you may have to consider that before adopting. it may be no different for you emotionally than fostering a child. you may be okay with this, to be strong enough to be able to honour your child's bond with his/her natural parents, but only you can figure that out. some adoptive parents can, but others find they cannot.
    Anonymous

• Check out this webstite http://www.adoption.com/ there might be some useful information there. Also if you can see if there is an adoption sympsium in your area, try to go to one. Contact some local adoption agencies to see if there are informational meetings you can attend. Get all the info you can on the various types of adoption.

Everyone has a different path in life, what is right for one, is not necessarily right for someone else, you have to follow the path that calls to you! We waited three years for a domestic adoption, which never even came close to happening. Then we went to an adoption symposium, attended a "class" on International adoption. They brought in five families, and their babies, that had just returned from China .. it was there that we found our path and once we set foot upon it, there was no turning back!!
    Tesnonian

Answer by Tesnonian at 8:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had the same issue with fostering -- would I be able to let them go back when the time came? I believe in God and live for Him, so I started looking at it as each child comes into our home for a reason. No matter if it's 24 hours or they stay forever...you can make a difference in a child's life. You just need to put it in your heart and your mind that you will remember each child and you will love them no matter how brief their stay is. We adopted through foster care and it's the best decision we ever made. If you're looking for 0-5 there might be children already out there that are available. You might want to check your state's local website for waiting children.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 9:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I run a website for adoption information and support. www.circleofloveadoption.com. Check it out.
    alexmomma2007

Answer by alexmomma2007 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i have place my baby due in august up for adoption and i found the adoptive couple thru www.angeladoptioninc.com and i have have had the best experience personally thru them as well as the adoptive family as well... i looks as tho alot of people have sucess within a year or less... the staff at angel is phenomenal.. just send them a quick email and they will get back with you and send you all the necessary info to get started and will help every step of the way
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 7:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2008