whats the best dog to raise with your children?

.Yours.Truly.

Asked by .Yours.Truly. at 2:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly, the best dog I've ever had was a Rottweiler mix. He was Rott and German Shepherd. He was extremely smart. We adopted him as a puppy when my boys were 3 and 5. Even as a puppy, he was big. He never once snapped or even growled at the boys no matter how rough they were, he was very protective of them, and he was very loyal. He would bring us "presents"...meat bones, dead mice, dead birds. He thought he was doing us a favor :) I think that it all depends on how you raise the dog, not necessarily on their breed. Rocky only stayed with us for a year, because he wasn't allowed to move on base with us when we had to move on base because we had no fence in the yard. When we get our own place (not military housing), I will probably adopt either a pitt mix puppy, or a rott or Rhodesian Ridgeback mix puppy. My dream dog is a Mastiff, but with little ones around they really do scare me!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We have a german shorthair pointer and he's fantastic with our boys... he thinks he's one of them! (they're 1 and 4)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Labs are meant to be good with children, I never completely trust any dog though, esp with children.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have a golden retiever. He is wonderful with my three kids
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i have a wolf named Boog. he's really good. but im always worried about the possibility of him turning... hes half arctic wolf half timber wolf. hes really gentle. so gentle in fact that a jack russel attacked him and he laid over and let him win. i had to pull the little shit off of him and boog had a cut on his anklev and limped. but he could have easily chomped that dog in half...
    .Yours.Truly.

Comment by .Yours.Truly. (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i have a sheltie and out of all the dogs i have encountered in my life he is excellent with my kids even my 3yr old he doesnt bite when they play with him the only thing i am trying to break is the herding he tries to do because he will nip at tires on the bike or heels trying to herd
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 3:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i would suggest a lab or golden retriever, get one when its a pup so they can grow up together
    BabeeOnBoard

Answer by BabeeOnBoard at 8:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• There isn't one perfect breed of dog for children and you will get varied answers from people depending on their lifestyle.
    I HATE labs and goldens and border collies they are just not my kind of dog. I need a dog that loves me and is loyal to me but doesn't need to be in my lap and have attention all the time. you have to match a dog with your lifestyle. Labs and goldens are pretty good size dogs but are happy dogs in general and good with families. but the best dog I have ever had is my pit mix, rescued her from the pound because she was cute and she loves people she loves everyone! I prefer herding dogs however they have a drive and an instinct to herd but tend to be very protetive of their family. I was raised with heelers and I will raise my kids with them but they aren't for everyone.
    Smaller breed dogs like corgis, min pins, toy poodles, cockers are also good family dogs if you get them when they are young.
    Mrs.PMAL

Answer by Mrs.PMAL at 12:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Golden retrievers are great family dogs
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 3:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Pembroke Welsh Corgis. Mine are excellent with kids, even babies. Very smart and easily trained; they're only draw back is food agression with each other so if getting more than 1, always keep their food separate. I can put my hands in their food all day and they could care less.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2010