Please tell me I'm not the only one... Toddler and OTC cough med.

My baby has been up all night with a cough. He is 18months old and weighs 26 lbs. His nurse said to give him 3/4 of a teaspoon of dimetapp so my husband went and bought childrens dimetapp. When he started coughing I asked my husband to give him some and my son was still a little fussy until the medicine kicked in so I rocked him and looked over the dimetapp box and it said "don't give to children under 6"! that really scares me! His nurse said to give it to him... Should I be worried???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't be worried. The reason they put that on there is so that you do call in to the doctor/nurse for advice. As long as the doctor or nurse said to you are ok
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 6:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• One would assume it's okay since the nurse gave it to him and all, but personally, I would call his Pediatrician this morning to confirm it's okay.....
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't really worry...I'm sure the one time that you gave it to him won't hurt him...especially because the nurse told you to give it to him. But, that doesn't sound quite right to me because my son is 19 months and 30 lbs and they are very STRICTLY telling me that he can't have anything but benadryll or claritin. Just ask the doctor before you give it to him again. :)
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He'll be fine, don't worry. But is there a baby formula? Like there is children's tylenol and infant tylenol.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They put that on the box because parents were not using the proper dose for their younger children and overmedicating them. Because you called a doctor/nurse and got the right dosage, you are fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Since you called the doctors office and got the correct dosing you should be fine.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2010