Burp baby when sleeping?

My son is 3 weeks and 5 days and he usually falls asleep on the boob. When I try to burp him while he is asleep he never does. Should I wake him up? Or just let him sleep? I don't want him to get a gas bubble, but if I waken him he won't go back to sleep easily.

Mom2Logan092310

Asked by Mom2Logan092310 at 3:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not quite sure maybe ask his pediatriation but with my kids if i rubed their backs or patted their backs lightly they would burp. I would think yes to burp because if you don't the baby might be gasy later and be crying in pain.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 4:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They usually stay asleep most of the time well in my kids case they did & I would just move them to another position and pat their backs or rub their back sometimes even just moving them to another position makes them burp also
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• the object is to make sure their little tummies are streached out and they will burp a lot easier without having to wake him!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yep, you should still try to burp him. Try putting his tummy on your shoulder and patting his back, the natural weight of his body should make him burp and hopefully he will stay asleep.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 7:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I always tried to get the burp. I would have him up at my shoulder and just rub/pat his back to get it while he slept there. It usually worked and it was great to just cuddle for awhile.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i usually just lay her on top of me while I'm laying down and rub her back so she's not laying scrunched up, she usually will burp and not wake up that way
    MummoloMom2010

Answer by MummoloMom2010 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i always have tried to get them to burp...better to tr then for them to have a tummy ache
    cdesersa

Answer by cdesersa at 2:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2010