has anyone ever heard of breastfeeding foster to adopt children

bubblebean

Asked by bubblebean at 3:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Adoption

• NO, BUT I DON'T KNOWWHY YOU COULDN'T

myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 3:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'd be really surprised if the public child welfare system would authorize it prior to the finalization of adoption. If you are caring for a child for whom there has not yet been a TPR hearing (termination of parental rights), then either the agency or in some cases the bio-parents must authorize a wide variety of daily care needs for that child. If however, you have finalized the adoption then they are legally your child and breast feeding is most definitely an option (although it can be difficult to start this with an older child).
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i was put on the herb that they give adoptive mothers to make them lactate so i knw that it is possible to breastfeed an adoptive child.
    Wassybear

Answer by Wassybear at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Check out this article by Dusty Copeland: http://birthassistance.tripod.com/id9.html
    she is actually a foster mom in California who fosters medically fragile newborns and breastfeeds them. Some states/counties do allow it. The state of Washington has a protocol to approve foster moms for breastfeeding. Some fost/adopt moms just do it "behind closed doors". In most cases it is with infants, under one year, but I met a fost/adopt mom who got a child at 18 months and successfully breastfed. I talked to another mom in Calif. who did it without permission, was told to stop or they would take the baby away, she refused to stop and they sent the baby to another fost home.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I've heard of breastfeeding children that were adopted, so I guess this isn't much different. However, with that being said, unless the BParents have signed their relinquishment of custody paperwork, I wouldn't even attempt to breastfeed. Although the soon-to-be adoptive parents may see that child as their own, until that happens, the child isn't theirs, KWIM?

I do not agree with waiting until finalization. In Ohio, even with infant adoptions, it takes 6 months to finalize. That's probably considered too old to just start out of the blue after feeding with bottles all this time. As I said, as soon as BParents sign, GO FOR IT!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Regardless of "whose" child it is- breastfeeding is the best option- how could anyone legislate against that??? Nutritionally, emotionally, socially best bet. People used to "hire out" breastfeeding all the time- "wet nurse" ring a bell to anyone?????
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 2:23 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• you can certainly breastfeed an adopted child, but from everything I know, DCS will not allow you to while they are in foster care
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:36 AM on Oct. 29, 2008