How do you carve your Pumpkin? With a stencil or free hand?

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• We had always just free-hand carved our pumpkins. Then last year I saw this book with cutters at Wal-Mart that you could rip out the page of the picture you wanted on your pumpkin and, with just a few simple steps, you had that carved in. So simple that we are doing it that way again this year.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• stencils - I'm a perfectionist ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I usually do a few of each...tried to do a stencil of Darth Vader the other day, and it ended up being a giant pumpkin on a pumpkin. That crap is sooo hard sometimes!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We've done them free-hand in the past. This year, since my son is older, we got the stencils. I think he'll have fun doing that, I think it's fun and they always look good! ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Free hand; DH likes to get the sawzall out - it's pumpkin carnage! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I usually do a regular ole jack-o-lantern, but my DD requested Princess Jasmine this year. Phew! It was tedious! Turned out cute though. I think I will stick to the old fashioned jack-o-lantern from here forward ;-)

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Last year was the first year we carved a pumpkin. My daughter, who was 4 at the time, drew a face on the pumpkin and then I carved it out. It turned out really cute! I even had a few people tell me it kind of looked like Jack? off of A Nightmare Before Christmas...lol This year we will probably do the same!
    MomToLilAngel

Answer by MomToLilAngel at 2:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Stencils they have so many neat designs, however now there is so many other things you can do with pumpkins like spray paint them black and draw designs with a knife or spray paint them gold and trim with ribbon so many things you can do
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We just paint our pumpkins and it's done free hand (DD is an artist). I could never handle carving them because I think the goop inside is so gross & it makes me nauseated. Blech!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010