If you have to file for food stamps, do you dress up or dress down?

I'm not sure how to dress. Should I dress down so I look poor, or should I dress up like I was going to a job interview so that they don't think I'm an under achiever wanting to live off the system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Money & Work

• At this time in our country it is so sad that so many people are faced with needing aid. You're not alone and the question you asked is such a good one. I agree with the above...be yourself. That's how you'll be most comfortable. Good luck.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I DRESS NORMAL,JUST A PAIR OF NICE JEANS AND A DRESS SHIRT.(I MEAN WHEN I APPLIED)I WAS APPROVED)
    Anonymous

• What would you wear to tkae your kids to the doctors office or the grocery store? Wear that. I hated seeing women with an excessive amount of jewlery or designer clothes in the welfare office when I was trying to deal with child support. (They were in the same office)
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• This is so sad of a question...not meaning to be rude...ok? I believe it doesn't matter how you dress it's based on your income and number of children or people living with you. I don't really think they care but maybe sometimes question to themselves why are these people here when they are dressed up...sometimes I don't think they understand that you can still look nice and be poor. They can't deny you based on what your wearing...because sometimes people who had it made and they had all nice stuff or dressed to the t can still have all that..it's just they need help now because of crisis their in. Just go and be yourself..don't worry about what they think!!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• And really I hated going when I had to because they acted like they were better then I was or the people who were in there....like their any better working in a Public Aid office!!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• it doesn't matter how you dress. They look at your income and assets and go from there. I know how you feel though.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would just wear what you got.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Dress like normal, They don't care what your wearing. They only care about your income. I wouldnt dress up for sure, YOu may feel out of place
    Anonymous

• Er...I dressed like I dress every day. They don't give a crap what you're wearing, they only care about how much money you make.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Whatever you have on... Just don't go in your PJ's.. I hate that!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008