Is it a Right or a Privilege?

Do you feel it is a right or a privilege for one parent to not work and stay at home with the children?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 7:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is a privilege.

Answer by older at 7:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• neither. its a family decision that each family has to make for themselves. put in perspective, raising children , raising the next generation for this country is more important than some menial job the main caretaking parent would be working anyways.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• a privilege. in this time being able to stay home is a blessing. most mom's need that second income. so if a person is fortunate to be able to stay home they are blessed.
    nancyb55

Answer by nancyb55 at 7:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's a privilege - in our house we have decided it is a necessity. That means we cut back however much we need to in order for me to stay home with the kids.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That is absolutely a privilige. One that I have been lucky enough to have.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• IDK, I feel that I have earned the right to stay home! DH is active Army, and I am the support system, to say it is a privledge would imply that I was undeserving of my position in this family! If I needed to work I would, but I feel that it is MY personal right to choose to saty home and care for our 4 (soon to be 5) children, while DH works, and provides for them financially. I guess I am old school
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• A privilege, but one that should be discussed well ahead of having kids.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 7:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• it is a privilege..i agree one that should be discussed way before a couple decides to have children...so when i have kids i have every right to stay at home with them until they are of speaking age
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• a privilege, though when my DH and I decided to continue with more kids we decided I would be home and they would not be in daycare
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Its a privaelege.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2010