Whole Chicken

When i cook my whole chicken it dries out by the time it's ready to be taken out. My cousin told me to coat it in olive oil before seasoning. Do you think it's a good idea? Will it mess with my seasonings and make it taste different? i love my chicken the way it is dry or not but my DH keeps mentioning how "dry it gets" :(. any suggestions are welcomed!
(btw i season it, leave it in the fridge overnight, then cook it for 5 hours in the oven!) :) thanks!

summerdaile

Asked by summerdaile at 7:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Are you putting salt on it when you season it for 5 hours? because that might be causing a problem. Are you overcooking it? I usually put in an onion cut in half, and stuff a few garlic cloves under the skin.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That seems like a long time to cook it - most likely because it's going from the fridge to the oven. Do you have time to let it sit on the counter and warm up a little? Then it wouldn't take so long in the dry-heat of the oven.

Are you basting the chicken? That would definitely help. So would covering it with foil for a while (not the whole time or else it won't brown).
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 7:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I used to poke holes in the chicken because I thought the juice running out would help baste it, but that caused a very dry chicken. I no longer poke holes in, that way the juices can remain and help keep it moist. I also cover with foil for most of the time, then about 30 minutes before it is ready, remove the foil.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I misread the part about 5 hours...Why are you cooking it for five hours? if it's a regular size chicken, then 2 hours tops. Get the one with the little pop up thingy.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i cook my whole chickens in the crockpot. they are so tender that literally, it falls apart when i take it out. you can grab a drumstick by the bone and it will come right clean off of the meat. i have never done it in the oven so unfortunately i dont have any tips on how to make it juicier in the oven. but try it one time in the crockpot, you will not be disappointed! i season mine and pour bbq sauce all over it and let it do it's thing in the crockpot for 6 hours.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Sounds like you are roasting it too long.  Below are times for different weights, unstuffed, in a 375 degree oven.  Use the shorter time and then check for doneness.  I stick a meat fork in the leg joint and if the juices run clear (no red) the chicken is done.  Or a meat thermometer should register 165 degrees.  It will also be moister if you let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before cutting.

If you want to stuff it just Google "roasting stuffed chicken" and you'll see tons of links.

2½ - 3 lbs -1 - 1¾ hrs

3½ - 4 lbs -1½ - 1¾ hrs

4½ - 5 lbs -1½ - 2 hrs

5 - 6 lbs -1¾ - 2½ hrs

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I butter my chicken up and also bast it
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 10:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I cook my chicken breast side down in a baking bag...take it out early and let it finish cooking out of the oven.
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 10:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• sounds like it is being over cooked, also let it sit for 10 minutes so the juices settle and never use salt
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• you only need to cook it 20 minutes per pound
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010