Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My grandson is 31 months and not talking much Any suggestions

My daughter lives with us and struggles with co parenting with grandparents and herself I think she has bouts of depression Very difficult

Answer Question

Asked by Gayleygirl at 7:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • First don't worry kids do things in their own time. I was really worried about my son because he was a late talker but he turned out just fine and now all he does is talk!

    Answer by TJones32 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • At 31 months he should be talking more than a little. I would request a developmental evaluation from early intervention - they will do it for free. If they find a delay, they will offer free or very low cost therapy. If they don't, then at least you have peace of mind. But they only address delays in children up to 36 months, after that usually you have to deal with the school system and they generally aren't as good or easy to work with.

    Answer by missanc at 7:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Ditto missanc...definitely evaluation from early intervention.

    My daughter had only a couple of words at 24 months and I ignored everyone saying "don't worry, kids do things in their own time" and was right in doing so. She's 4-1/2 now and has been in speech therapy since I first took her just past 2...and she still has problems.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • about your daughter. Moving back with parents is a difficult choich and with a baby it's a more difficult situation. Your daughter probly feels like a child again because she isn't in her own home and may find it difficult to kkep the role as the athoritive parent. You both should sit down and discuss the issue and make it clear that she is the parent and needs to step up to the role and that you and your husband will will continue the role as grandparents. About grand son. If the Dr. still says that nothing is wrong and his Mom might think qther wise,then i would suggest a developmental specisltist or anyother speciatist. As parents and patient we have the right to seek other medical advise as well as changing Drs. all together. Hope he will be fine and also if there is still a prob. with daughter feeling pushed out then maybe conciling would be something to think about.

    Answer by Timberly at 7:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • your state should have a Birth to 3 Program which is free of charge,,,i know some say don't worry and he will develop at his own rate but that seems REALLY late. Have you spoken to his pediatrician?? Why not get him evaluated?? It can't hurt.

    Answer by coolchic320 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.