pros and cons of husband joining the army...please help

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Money & Work

• off the top of my head, insurance, a guaranteed roof over your head, you're part of a bigger community, and you can get to see some awesome places in the world.

And on the other hand, long separations, low pay, the constant fear he won't get to come home.

In all honesty I think that if they would take my husband we would become a military family in a heart beat. We were both military brats growing up.

These are just a VERY few things. I've never been a military spouse so I can't say from experience but...well I hope this helps a little.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There is a lot of benifits .me being a military wife and mom I have learned ALOT, granted I am a navy gal but most things are the same, as posted above they pay is not all that great, buts its a continous pay you CANT get fired as long as your head is on your shoulders and not your a$$...also the doctor vistis, FREE. Also if you have to move, mil. will pay for it Also there is soo many things the kiddos can get involved in on the base. The base is a wonderful place really its its own community most everything is cheaper. Also on the deployment side of it, it actually isnt that bad we are so advanced now that most places have atleast one web cam that can be used to chat and see each other also if he does deploy your not alone and most of the time they will make a group for spouses so that you can get updates . there is a daycare on base. I hope this helps a little bit, if you have anymore questions e-mail . good luck
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There are alot of benifits you have the security of knowing that you will get paid twice a month, the insurance is great. The pay isn't great to start but the longer he stays in and higher ranking he gets the better the pay gets. You know that with the economic issues you don't have to worry about him getting laid off. Plus you got to love a man in uniform. He can get his GI Bill and go to college when he decides to get out. You can get a VA Loan for a home.

The downfalls are the long hours and deployments.

In the end only you and your husband can decide what is best for your family. Go with him to the recruiters office and feel free to ask questions that's what they are there for.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 4:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• The insurance and GI Bill help with housing ETC.
    If your worried about moving think about Reserves.
    My husband and I decided for him to join this year. Granted it was not easy for him to be gone 5 months but on the good side in that time we made enough money to be almost debt free and save a little.
    Being reserves he will always have income from his 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, we cant get transfered to a different post, and he will be able to go to school.
    Its not easy becoming an Army wife and learning the lingo and tricks but there is plenty of support out there and you will be surprised with the change in your husband........

Mine does the dishes now.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i have been a military wife for a little over a year. The medical coverage is amazing along with every other benefit the army gives you( ask the recruiter about a list. My husband is so happy in the army. Plus its like a second family lol a a big one at that. we went bowling and all of our friends some who didnt know me at all but were friends with my husband were watching my kids for me so i could relax and have fun. They are great. Honestly the time away from him while he was trainign was really hard but when he got back it was amazing it showed me how much i love him.
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 5:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Pros-your husband gets to be a HERO! And you and your family get to be HERO's for allowing your spouse to be a part of a bigger thing! I've actually thought of having my hubby re enlist, but we shall wait until after Nov. to decide or if it is even something he wants to do....... So, for now we have adopted 2 soldiers to encourage and send carepackages to while they are away from their families here in the States........They are serving in Iraq right now......
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• its NOT low pay actually
    All the money my husband gets is banked OR spent of whatever we want
    We get free housing, food insurence for the family
    We live for free ON top of a paycheck
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have a ex friend that is in the army and ever since he has gotten in...he has become completely cold! The military changes them! Also, it will affect your kids too especially if he leaves for two years to go over to Iraq! I would seriously think about it before going that route! Once your in the military....they own you!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 6:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• the military is a great idea - stable job, good benifits, and when he retires (in however many years he chooses) then its a great thing to have on a resume _everyone loves to hire from the military_cause they know how to follow orders and take pride in their work... plus retirement pay added to what he makes is AWSOME and if he stays in for a certain ammount of time they will pay for him to finish or expand his educations .. and he can get benefits for your family even after he retires (but some of that depends on how long he stays in)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2008