Etiquette on repeatedly receiving bad gifts-

How do you politely tell someone that they repeatedly give bad gifts that you don't use. Or do you say anything and just get rid of it?

My MIL always buys me gifts that I never use. Last Christmas, it was the whole line of Arbonne products, before that, a ton of smelly lotions. Anytime she sees a turtle, she buys it for me. And the chenelle sweaters are out of control. She bought a cheap wicker set for DH and I, when we were looking at high quality wicker. Every year, I dread opening the gifts she gives, because it's something i don't like.

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 3:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Relationships

• I plaster a smile on my face and say, oh that was nice, thanks. She never asks what types of things I do like or what I would use and if given a detailed list, still buys the wrong things

To top it off, she goes overboard and I'm not one that really likes to receive gifts from much of anyone besides my DH and DS.

I just get rid of whatever she buys me, later, but hate to see her wasting her money

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You should go window shopping with her. You could both look at stuff and you could point out the stuff you like and the stuff you don't maybe she would get the hint (or maybe not LOL)

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• LOL dont say anything, REGIFT:) You should try the arbonne though. Fantastic products!! I love getting bad gifts because chances are I forgot someone so I rewrap it and put a tag on it and voila! lol
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Oh and  maybe you could try re-gifting LOL maybe she wont notice you do not have/use it LO

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• For one, they live 2 states away, so I can't window shop with her. If I state a random causal response to something, like: oh, that kinda cute or I've used this product- she goes completely overboard and gets the whole line of products or everytime she sees something, she'll buy it. Even if given a detail lit with product number on it, place to buy it at , everything, she buys the wrong thing and says, oh I thought you'd like this better.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• She seems clueless then. Like I said before...regift:) One persons junk is another persons treasure!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I like some of the Arbonne facial products and use them, but i really don't need the body serums and lotions and eye creme. I'm currently giving away about $ 200 worth of Arbonne and other products. I hate that she wastes so much money on things I won't use. Goodwill loves me, that's for sure!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• In this case I would continue to accept the gifts and say thank you. Once I have the gift(s) I would regift them, throw them away or donate them to charity, but if you want to finally have the balls and stand up to MIL and say I don't like this shit, just kindly say thanks, but no thanks I don't really like this, this is not really my style, or I'm allergic.
    Anonymous

• Invite her to go shopping with you. Point out to her the things that you really like. That's how I get gift ideas for my daughter and daughters in laws. The boys are not so much of a problem. It seems they like whatever I give them. It's the best way I have of knowing what they really like, and then I can go back and make my purchases later. The reason she buys the wrong gifts is likely that she has not spent enough time with you to know what you really like. She's probably trying really hard to please you--just not measuring up to your expectations.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Heck...send ME the Arbonne stuff...do you have any idea how expensive that stuff is????

Honestly, a gift is a gift...you really can't criticize her for it. You are doing the polite thing. If you are really unhappy, perhaps you could mention that you are planning on getting something special and would she consider helping you with that goal? If you are comfortable enough and close enough with her, it might just go over well. Who know? It might be a relief for her to not have to shop and wrap and ship!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008