Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you get early intervention for speech?

Answer Question

Asked by Gayleygirl at 8:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • my son was put in an early intervention program through our county with a referal from his pediatrician. that led to a referal for speech therapy. do you have health insurance? you can usually get a referal from your primary care dr if your insurance covers speech therpay

    Answer by BlacksheepSati at 8:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Not sure what you mean... Are you concerned about your toddler not speaking yet, or having trouble with pronouncing certain letters? Have you talked to your Doctor about it? That would be the best place to start. With that being said, not all toddlers can speak clearly at an early age and end up just fine. Age 1 - 2 is awfully early to start speech therapy unless there is something wrong other than just typical toddler speech.


    Answer by shanlaree at 8:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Contact your local Board of MR/DD. In Ohio it's a 0-3 year program called Help Me Grow.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • what state do you live in?

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • My middle was in speech therapy at 18 months thru our local Birth to 3 program. My 2nd was able to get speech therapy thru our school district at 2yrs 9 months and is currently in a supported 4K class.
    First of f I would talk to the pediatrician and if they think the child is developmentally behind they can give you a referral. Or you could contact a Birth to 3 program, the school district or possibly even Head Start and ask about speech therapy and how to go about getting the child screened.

    Answer by MizLee at 8:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • I think you can call an elementary school in your county and ask if they know of an early interevention program. Out here, we have NEIS, Nevada Early Intervention Services but it's different everywhere.
    Good luck!

    Answer by MayMommaToBe at 1:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Google "early intervention (your state)" and the right place to call should come up.

    Answer by missanc at 1:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • All states have some type of Birth to 3 Program. If your child qulaifies it is a free service. Look into it!

    Answer by coolchic320 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.