How can I get my daughter's to want to learn how to cook ?

I have a 13yrs old and a 17rs old. Well the 17 yrs old know's how to cook somewhat but not alot. And my 13yrs old doesnt seem to want to learn . What idea's can I give them to want to learn how to cook ?

judybronxmom68

Asked by judybronxmom68 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I didn't have much interest at that age. Maybe as she gets older she'll want to learn. Now at 24 I'm a mediocre cook but at 13 and even 17 my expertise was pb&j and hot dogs. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thank you tnm786, that is all they are into also. Looking back I was the same way at their age ...LOL
    judybronxmom68

Comment by judybronxmom68 (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Tell them you're not cooking for them anymore? lol I'm just kidding. Maybe get them a recipe book? I really don't know.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 8:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You put them in charge of one meal a week. Planning, purchasing, cooking, and cleaning.
    And for those that have sons - this shouldn't just be daughters doing this......sons also need to learn to cook. The worst thing a mother of sons can do is to not equip them to survive in the world. They need to cook, clean, and do laundry on their own.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• she's still a little young to worry about it too much. Maybe if you have a baking day every once in a while for fun things. Like decorated cookies and the like.
    Later on if she still doesn't take to it, then I'd get her the book 'help! my apartment has a kitchen!' its got some of the neatest tips in it.
    Like how you would cook a chicken if you only had a tea pot, or can you add water to pasta after you've started cooking, and things like that. :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thanks everyone i will try that one week ( twinsplus2more )... And that's okay,, Ainqls
    Thank you
    judybronxmom68

Comment by judybronxmom68 (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• lol @twinsplus2more, i wish my mother in law had taught my hubby how to cook! he can do mac and cheese and scrambled eggs. the other day i had to walk him through how to make a frozen pizza! i have all girls and i will teach them when they want to learn but i would do the same if i had a boy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Are there certain types of food they are interested in? (French, Thai, etc.) If there are, get them a cookbook on that type of cuisine, maybe it will spark some interest in actually preparing some dishes.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• tell them that a way to a man's heart is through their mouth. Maybe that should only be for your 17 year old. But, it's very true. I've never had a boyfriend that didn't LOVE the fact that i cook well.

I liked to cook at that age. No one in my family cooked, and i wanted to eat yummier food. So, i started cooking....at around 14. By the time i was 18, i was working as a prep cook at a fancy restaurant in Cambridge, MA. That is where i learned most of what i know now. But, i always loved food....so i always liked to cook. I'm still learning new things all the time. LOVE being in the kitchen!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:42 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Give them just one task at a time until they learn basics - like plan to be busy folding laundry and have them brown ground beef or cut up some vegetables to be ready when you're done. Next time give them a different job. Let them get the idea that it's easy and teach them a bunch of little skills that they can then put together to make something start to finish instead of overwhelming them all at once.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Oct. 19, 2010