Who has an American Pit Bull Terrier?

Please share a story of how wonderful your dog is; or, a story of any hate you epxerienced towards your dog.

I had a lady at a dog park follow me around and tell me how evil my dogs were and how they should be destroyed. Get this, her dog was playing with them the whole time!

My older pit loves to lick the bottom of my 7 month old's feet. My son giggles and squirms and just loves it!

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pets

• we have 2 pit bulls duke and duchess! they are great dogs! we have trained them very well so they are nice and well behaved but they know when to be mean and protect their owners too. we have lived in some not so great neighborhoods before we had kids and they were great guard dogs. once we were in an apartment and i was napping i was about 4 months pregnant and the dogs were very protective while i was pregnant. and i heard a knock at the door but i was not expecting anyone so i didnt answer. they knocked 2 times and then i heard someone trying to open the door so the dogs were going crazy. i got our gun from the bed room and went into the living room and next thing u know they broke in our window and this man jumped in and the dogs bit him a few times and he ran off. i called the cops after words and they caught the guy in the ER getting stitches! im glad i had my dogs!! they love our dd they sleep outside her rm now!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My sister (who is currently living with us) has one. She is a great dog! She loves to run and romp and stomp and play outside with the kids, and chase bubbles that they blow.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have 9. Six of them are puppies we're trying to find homes for... but they love to cuddle. Gideon was our first, he's uber protective of me, my kids, and our property... my only issue with him is that he has to be put up when we're expecting company. He jumps at people like he is going to attack (but no bites) if they come near me or the kids. Trixie was another rescue... she's very timid and quiet. She likes to lay on your lap - not much for playing around... but she's also protective of our house. Sadie.. well, she's Sadie. She's only 7 mos old, so she's all hyper and bouncy.

From the very first day, Gideon has stayed right with DS3. He sleeps under his crib at night, everything. Its so cute to see him rolling on the floor with the kids, letting them "ride-a-horsie"... so gentle, yet so protective.

My only issue is that they chew on everything. Had to get a 4x4 as a chew toy.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We had a staffordshire terrier, sweetest thing! He.loved my girls, scared off a creepy guy that was hanging around out house. He loved to run with my girls, 4 and 6, but he would have a hard time stopping, and knock them over,lol, the girlswould get up laughing their butts off. He always had a "smile" on his face, just a sweet happy boy! We had to get rid of him because he was killing our neighbors
    livestock, and we threats to shoot him, so we gave him to a friend that has a lot of land and other dogs and a high fence he couldn't jump over...we miss him tons!
    addynbellasmom

Answer by addynbellasmom at 9:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have owned several pit bulls and they have all been the best dogs. My last was the most gentle dog adn was so good with my little girls, so patient and sweet. People who think they shouldbe distroyed either are slanted by the media hype or don't know any personally. I currently have a German Shappherd but secretly wish we'd have gotten a pit.
    Unsocialized

Answer by Unsocialized at 9:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have 2! They are the best thing that ever happened to me. When they were puppy's (6 months & 1year) we took them to a bbq my sister had at her house. A lot of my family was there including tons of children. My sister's neighbors who just so happen to be my brothers in laws decided somehow my dogs playing with their grandchildren was dangerous. He came down the street yelling at my brother (he helps with training and handling them) to get them away from his grandkids and off "his" block. We're used to people being prejudice against our dogs but most of the time after a short while they see how sweet and playful they are. This guy wouldn't let up until a fight almost broke out between our entire family. I decided it would be best to take my dogs home since they were pretty traumatized by the event taking place. The funny thing was the dogs played with the kids the entire time never taking offense to.his words.
    royal13

Answer by royal13 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I used to live down south and we loved having pit bulls. they are wonderful guard dogs and kept the wild animals away from the home. we had to give them up to a famer when we moved up north. i called the city we were going to move to to see about any animal restrictions. it was during the peak paranoia of the 90's about pit bulls. they said they were not illegal BUT they had had MANY cases of poisonings. sigh
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 9:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I not only have a pitbull, but I have rescued and rehabillitated pitbulls. These dogs are great dogs, in the right hands, it's a shame that "people" have abused the breed and given them such and un deserved reputation.
    Dare2Bme71

Answer by Dare2Bme71 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have two. My older one will be 8 years old next week. When she was 7 months old we took Reagan to Petsmart to get some toys and treats.Reagan was sitting quitely at my side while I looked at things. This women who had a chow puppy about the same age that was wild and jumping at my dog(who was ignoring this) started bad mouthing Pit bulls and how much she hated them. She looked right at me when she was saying this stuff to a petsmart employee. I couldn't keep my mouth shut I told her that if she had something to say to me about my dog not to be a coward and say it. I also told her that at least my "Vicious pit bull" had manners unlike her dog.I was livid.Three years ago, before we got our third dog (the other pit bull) we were camping with Reagan and Beau (our flat-coat retriever mix) when a bull wandered into our camp. Beau wanted to play with it. But Reagan was stood up to it and protected us. We call her our bull dog now
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I had one. She passed away. I always tell people how she was my favorite cuddler and people should worry more that my Chi-weenie is going to go nuts and eat them. Hate stories though? I had one lady tell me when Boo was a puppy that "Oh she's cute now, wait til she is older." Okay? I did wait...she went from cute to gorgeous, her brindle markings came out lovely. I always had people shocked when I said I owned a Pit. Some people would tell me how she was going to eat me...funny I am still alive...the one who always bit me was my cat when I was giving him his meds. Funny story...I used to walk her at night in the summer because she was a very light fawn brindle, and she'd burn in the sun...well I was walking with her and this guy seriously, used her to try and pick me up :-/ she peed on his shoe
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010