WHEN WILL WE SLEEP??

I should have had this all as one question but I am new! My son is still breastfeeding
at 21 months and also still sleeping with his father and I. He has never once slept through the night, still wakes up 3 or 4 times to nurse. What can I do? I don't want
to wean him if he is not ready but we are all getting pretty tired! The crib never worked, he hyperventilates if I even try to set him in it.

SMURF7

Asked by SMURF7 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He does NOT need the food during the night. He wakes up and nurses because that's what he has always done. In short, you are his "lovey". Instead of a little blankie or a stuffed animal to help soothe him back to sleep, he has you.
    When will you sleep? Once he is in his own bed and at least night weaned, you will sleep. Until then, he will continue to wake during the night out of habit. Sorry.
    It is up to you to decide when the time is right for your family. But you must remember to consider the entire family in your decision - not just your little boy, not just you - all of you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070800.asp

The poster above me makes some very good points! I've also posted a link for additional reading. I hope it helps.

Good luck! Hang in their, momma! They're only babies for a little while...
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If he eats dinner early, maybe give him a snack about an hour before bed...I do not know if he takes a pacifier, but try that instead of breastfeeding one or more of the times he wakes. Also, have your tried a pack-n-play or toddler bed right next to your bed? My daughter often has bad dreams and ends up coming in our room, so I made her a little bed next to our bed so we can all sleep comfortably!! Good luck, hope you get some sleep soon :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 5:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008