Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

my son is 2 and running low grade temp 100.8 with meds it has came down. he has loss of appetite and is fussy. i was wondering if it will be safe to take him outdoors to the pumpkin farm today with it getting up to 64 thats pretty chilly?? so is it safe for him or should we just stay home??

Answer Question
 
mommiebroyles

Asked by mommiebroyles at 9:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Personally, I would just stay home -I think that it would be safe but do not think either of you will have fun if he is fussy and feverish. I know that my DD is a beast even with a low grade fever.
    chefronswife

    Answer by chefronswife at 9:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • I think I would just stay home today, the more rest he gets the faster his recovery will be. It is exhausting to go out and have a big day when you dont feel well. It probably wouldnt be that enjoyable for either of you. Hope he feels better soon!
    foxracing43701

    Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • No. With a low grade temp that means he has a virus brewing. Even if it's a 24 hour bug you don't want to intice it to get worse. It's best that you nurse his virus to help him pass it and let him get better. Hopefully he's well enough and you guys can go tomorrow.
    JazzlikeMraz

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • A fever could mean a lot of things, teething, ear infection, virus. I would decided based on his temperment. Fresh air and some distraction might make him feel better.
    Unsocialized

    Answer by Unsocialized at 9:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • thank you that is what i was thinking... im also worried about his ears. he (thank god) and (knock on wood) has only had 1 ear infection but that is always in the back of my mind. i know when i have ear aches it is painful to be in the cold! so we will be staying home today. i wouldnt want to infect anyother children either if he is sick and its not just teething.
    mommiebroyles

    Comment by mommiebroyles (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • On top of the advice already, read this on fevers, very helpful.. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

    Christine0813

    Answer by Christine0813 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • I would keep him at home. If he's not feeling well, he won't have a good time.
    HotMama330

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • i personally would take him out like pp said. he needs the fresh air and if he does have a virus brewing then once it comes full throttle he won't get any fresh air for a long while. 100.4 is considered the beginning of a low grade fever and doc's don't even consider it anything to look into until 3 days of 102 or higher. let him enjoy the time. the weather is going to get worse and the temps much colder the longer you wait. my 11.5m old just got done having both strep and croupe. when we got a good stretch of weather i brought him outside for fresh air. he's not walking or running so he's not straining himself and making himself cough. got him dressed to the weather and it actually cooled him off and kept him distracted for the most part (besides the dogs loving him being out there) keeping a kid cooped up in a house is punishment. have fun at the farm
    Marri357

    Answer by Marri357 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN