Military wife and mom ...i need advise

I am 16 weeks and my husband wants to join the army. He almost went before but didn't because i found out i was pregg. He is going to wait till after the baby is born but it won't be long, maybe three months at the most before he leaves.

Is it hard juggling a newborn alone, a job and online classes or should i take time off with school? How will i cope?

SpiffyMom

Asked by SpiffyMom at 4:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• The Truth--- Military life is hard. The wife/partner is the one that has to sacrifice it all. You either accept his career or you don't. I ran a home, took care of 4 kids and pregnant for 6 long months and I think that was the most miserable experience ever. Its hard. If nothing else, you'll love to appreciate all the single parents in this world.
    Navy_Wife_Tisha

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 4:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My husband is in the Navy. I have two children. The first time he was gone for 6 months I was pregnant with our son (found out the day after he left). The second time he was gone for 6 months my daughter was a month old. He's had 4 deployments since I was pregnant with my son (who is 7). Ontop of that he is sometimes gone for a month or two. Usually he is gone for a week or two at a time (he missed my daughter's birth because he had to go out to sea for a week and she was born durring that time). There have been times where he was only home on the weekends.

But that's a Navy life. Army is different. Where in the Navy they are either gone for short spurts or are gone for 6 months here and there....in the Army they are sometimes gone for as long as 2 years without comming home to visit.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• It's very difficult being a military wife. It takes a lot of dedication and love to make it work. I know many military moms who work and/or go to school while raising children with their husbands deployed. It's difficult but it is possible.

Having people to support you helps. In many bases military wives will band together and have support groups. Friends and family who are supportive are a bonus as well.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• having the care of another person resting on you is hard. but you can do it. the military life is a hard one, i'm sure but you can find a group of friends. there is no rule that says you guys can't have a satisfying and full relationship. look for people in the same situation and form friendships. then you guys can support each other. good luck.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2008