How exactly would this happen? And why exactly would it be so bad? (content warning)

Something came up in a post the other day, and it struck me as so odd that I can't stop thinking about it. So I can't resist - I'm posting a question about it. Here it goes... Someone said that doctors advise against oral sex during pregnancy (which, by the way, I've NEVER heard before) because it can cause air to enter the vagina and harm both mother and child. This raises two big questions... 1) How the heck are these people performing oral sex? I have recieved plenty of it, and never once have I ended up with a vagina full of air. 2) Why the heck would a little air in your vagina hurt you or your baby?

BlueFrogMama

Asked by BlueFrogMama at 3:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• haha! this made me laugh so hard! it wouldn't.... For one you have something that is call a mucus plug when you are pregnant that keeps things like bacteria and air from getting in there. Two, I highly dont when some one is giving you oral their breathing much.lol!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My doc. said something that like the air that gets inside has germs and could harm the sac and somehow get into the baby.
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 4:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Sometimes during oral sex people will blow into the vagina on purpose it isn't a accidental thing I'm not into that but I have heard of that. It doesn't mean that during oral sex air accidentally goes in. lol FYI I'm not into that.
    zionsmom1

Answer by zionsmom1 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• This is what I've read and heard from doctors and nurses: It's ok to have oral sex, just not to blow inside the vagina. The excess air can somehow enter the bloodstream (there's lots of blood moving around down there during pregnancy) and an air bubble in your blood can kill you and/or the baby.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Wow. I'm apparently not as worldly as I originally thought. I had no idea people were going around blowing into each other's vaginas for fun. I guess I learned something new today.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• why would some one blow into your vagina? Thats just silly i've never herd anything like that.
    Anonymous

• lol... yes some ppl do like that... but if you look it up in google it will give you real medical answers.. but it can be harmful
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 4:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes, it can hurt actually. It can cause an air embolism in the uterus. It is very rare, but it does happen and it can kill both mother and child. If you don't know what that is...it is when a large air bubble gets into the bloodstream, it causes death, look it up.
    Anonymous

• Who the F*** blows air in the vagina?
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 6:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• okay so queefing bad... That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. lol!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008