how do you know if breastfeeding is a good idea and is it hard

aubiechik69

Asked by aubiechik69 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• To me Breastfeeding is mainly up to yo uand the baby, my son did not want to boob, he did however take it for about 3 weeks then he was done. it really just depends on the person. To me it was hard cause it was my first one and I didnt realize how sore I would be. Good luck though and try not to force anything! Have fun
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 3:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Different people have different experences.studies show differene effects that bf have vs. formula
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 4:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• yes i think its a very good idea it protects your child from things like being sick and stuff im a young mom i was 20 when i had my daughter and i didnt really wanna breast feed i thought it was kinda wierd and all but i decided i would give it a try it was very hard for me to breast feed i was broke after just having a baby and all and did have the money to get a breast pump so i manually pumped and that was very time comsuming and all and plus my daughter always feel
    izabelsmommy06

Answer by izabelsmommy06 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• asleep when i was trying to feed her i talked to the doc about it and they gave me all kinds of ideas on how to keep her awake and it didnt help so after being miserable for 10 wks i finally decided to just give up on it i at least tried it plus i was also bottle feeding her while i was tried breast feeding and she seemed to take the bottle just fine so hopefully that helps its not like that with everyone but i think its a very good idea to try even if its only for the first couple days plus its FREE!!!!! lol
    izabelsmommy06

Answer by izabelsmommy06 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Breastfeeding =cheaper
    Breastfeeding gives the baby everything he/she needs to be healthy in everyway
    I think its going to be hard but im gonna be taking classes in Dec. for it so i can learn
    Money and my family is really tough right now so im going to breastfeed for a long time prolly a year to save money too
    Anonymous

• Breast milk is the best source of nutrition you can give your baby. That being said-it is a personal choice as to whether you breast eed or not. In the beginning it is very difficult and painful, but worth every minute. The best thing to do is take a class and read about the topic. Talk to a lactation consultant and make an informed decision. You will know what is best for you and your baby. Good luck!
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Breast feeding helps prevent allergies, your child getting sick, obesity, and childhood diabetes. It is free is a great bonding time for mother and child. I never had any problems breastfeeding, if any one does have issues there are great lactation consultants and groups like the la leche league to help.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 4:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I had my boys at 20 and 22 and I breastfed because I knew it was the best thing for them. It wasn't personally hard for me. But I always wanted to without a doubt. I also chose to breastfeed for a few reasons...One it is the best source of nutrition, easier to digest for baby, it's free, bonds you closer with your baby, helps with your babies immune system. Breastfeeding also may lower the risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
    The best advice I can give you is to be as patient as possible because your baby will feel your impatience and will have a harder time. Just remember thru the hard times that this is the best thing for your baby and that will help with relaxing and having a lot of patients thru it all. I breastfed both of my boys until they were one and they are now 14 & 16 and I can count on one hand how many times both of them have been sick. I know it was the best decision I ever made to breastfeed.
    Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Breastfeeding is almost ALWAYS a good idea. There are some things that make BFing not safe and heres a way to find out if you have any of these issues
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/index.html
    NOW Breastmilk is always good for your baby, even if you ahev to have it donated. Its 1000% better than formula in everyway. Heres a few links to show you some info to think about
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/bfoutcomes.asp
    http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/what_should_know_formula.html
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/infantfeeding_recommendation/en/index.html
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm
    http://www.naturally-healthy-eating.com/baby-formula.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Formula was created so that babies whose moms CAN NOT breastfeed, honestly CAN'T, not just think they can't, could live. Without formula thousands of babies would have starved to death. That being said formula was not meant to be a mainstream way of feeding a baby. ANY formula in any country even ours can be contaminated, our formula was recalled int eh past few years because of metal and glass shards and an intestinal virus that killed babies intestines.
    All of this on top of the immunities that BM provides leads me to say that breastfeeding or giving BM in any way is not just the BEST option, but the ONLY option for moms who are able.
    tabi_cat1023