Question for those who define themselves as pro-choice

This is pretty much a two part question. At what point do you believe life begins, and is there any point prior to childbirth where you feel that with exception of grave harm to the mother the growing fetus is developed enough to have a right not to be killed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that life begins at conception, the moment the egg is fertilized. And I believe that once a baby is potentially viable outside the womb termination of pregnancy should be restricted to those cases where the mother's life is at risk.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Let me reverse the question...Do you believe in masturbation? safe sex? Isn't that denying an intended life??
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I am pro-choice, not pro-abortion. So, the choices I would make *personally* may be vastly different from what I support. Like a non-gun owner that still supports OTHER peoples rights to have a gun. That said, I believe life begins when brain activity begins. I also believe as BlueFrogMama, that once the child could survive with medical help it should no longer be an option for terminating pregnancy unless there are dire medical reasons.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Njmommy -- Now I have Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred" in my head. I know people get very worked up over this topic. I don't think life begins at conception, not life as I define it. Technically Sperm live and die... Eggs live and die.. every cell has a life cycle. I am not mourning the loss of my skin cells. I can see that egg and sperm and even a fertilized egg are all potential for life - but until a certain point, I consider them just that -- potential. Through natural process appproximately 60% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. Many of those are undiscovered pregnancies. Fertilization happens and for whatever reason the body doesn't deem it a good match to continue through the next 9 months. Do I think a child died every single time? No. I think the cells didn't get a match they wanted and decided to try again.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Serafyna ~ Exactly!!! But so many prolifers preach about prochoicers beliefs I figured I would throw it out there for them.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Serafyna, I used to think the same way about "potential life" until the point of viability. But then I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks, just hours after I got that positive pregnancy test. Although all I lost was a tiny cluster cells that may have never even had a heartbeat, nobody can tell me that wasn't my baby. I still grieve the loss of that baby. He or she is, in my mind, a part of me and a part of my family, and always will be. And so now I do consider conception to be the beginning of life. Not trying to be argumentative. :-) Just sharing my perspective.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i agree with the person who says that pro choice is different from pro abortion....

i beleive life begans at conception.... i do totally agree w/ the partial birth abortions....
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 5:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Potential for life begins at conception, life itself does not begin until birth. Once a fetus reaches the age of Viability (age where it can survive outside the womb) which is roughly at 25 weeks then unless the mother's life is in danger or the fetus has a rare genetic disorder that would result in it's death shortly after birth, the fetus deserves the right to live.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't understand the logic of comparing a fertilized egg at conception to an unfertilized egg or sperm. A fertilized egg has a unique DNA and genes. It is an entity that will become a person, unless miscarriage occurs or the mother intentionally decides to end it's existence. The same cannot be said of an egg lost to menstruation or a sperm lost to masturbation. Therefore I would say that an embryo at conception is much more of a life or potential life, than just an egg or sperm.
    Anonymous

• If it's not a baby, then you don't need an abortion.
    Anonymous