I want to breast and bottle feed

When I have the baby in April, I want to breast and bottle feed. I want my husband to have a bond with the baby as well as me so that 's why I want to do both, does that sound silly?

jarai6868

Asked by jarai6868 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Nope, not silly. It's pretty common. One thing to consider is that breastmilk production is a supply and demand kind of thing, so throwing formula into the mix (especially in the first three months while your milk supply is becoming established) can really screw things up for you. So a better plan may be to pump so your husband can feed the baby bottles of your breastmilk.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• no it dont sound silly just pump your milk so you can put it in the bottle.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Not silly at all. I HAD to do this, b/c of lack of supply on my part, so I had to supplement with formula. But like the ladies said before, pumping would be an awesome thing to do or at least try, from what I've heard normal woman have plenty to pump and have a supply frozen or refriderated for times they are away or need a rest. That way if your baby getting breast milk is important to you, than he/she can no matter if it's straight from your boob or from the bottle. I've also read recently that the long time myth about the baby getting used to the bottle and not taking to the breast is wrong, that babies can and will succeed with both types of nipples.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• well you COULD bottle feed during the day and at night breast feed so that the baby wont have to wait a while during the night while your tired and can barely see from just waking up..

im gonna breastfeed for a year... =)

my baby is due April 22nd!
    whats ur due date?! :)
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 4:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• if u want to successfully breastfeed It is recommended that pacifiers and other types of artificial nipples be avoided for at least the first 3-4 weeks. I'd personally suggest that most breastfed babies - if they get a pacifier at all - would be better off without a pacifier until mom's milk supply is well established (6-8 weeks, usually) and the 6 week growth spurt is over. That way you've established a good milk supply and don't lose any much-needed breast stimulation to a pacifier.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• no.. i want to do that too... just go get a good breast pump.....
    hunilemonrose

Answer by hunilemonrose at 4:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008