I'm quitting again starting today...

My husband and I are quitting smoking together. We started this morning by putting a patch on and so far it's working! Just need to find a way to keep my self busy and change our habits. We have never smoked in front of our children, so they don' t know. But they are getting to the age where they might figure it out one day. So this is why we are quitting!

Have you any suggestions or tips that helped you quit?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:27 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Health

• Personally when I quit, I prayed about it and every time I had an urge, I gave it to God. But if that is not your thing, there are other ways. Stay away from people who smoke (even if they are friends!) until you are strong enough not to give into the temptation of seeing cigs around them. I used to drink coffee when I smoked and not having a cig when I drank my coffee was hard, so I cut way down on the coffee (no I did not stop entirely). It is more of a mental thing not to give in to the physical urges. Good luck!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm on the patch right now and it's been 37 days since I smoked. As far as what helps....gun, small hard candies, and staying busy. I also changed my routine. I cut back on coffee(I always smoked when having coffee) I started walking everyday right after all my kids were in school(outside works best but I use the treadmill when it's nasty out) I do watch what I eat because for some reason I feel the need to kill time with food but so far I have not gained any weight(yeah!) =) When you get stressed(and you will) that makes it easy to fall back into smoking....try to have some kind of relief plan in place if that happens. As funny as it may sound....I take a hot shower when the stress gets to me(I have 4 boys so there is plenty of stress!!) Support is also very important but I think that you really have to be ready and have your mind set in order for it to really work. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you want.
    Becky
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I've never smoked myself but I have family members that have. My mother put them down and never looked back after my dad died of cancer. My brother had a goal in mind --karate. I reminded him that part of that is having a healthy body and it is working against yourself if you put bad things into your body while trying to strengthen it. He had a few slip ups, but he eventually put them down for good. The point of that? Don't think it's hopeless if you do slip. Acknowledge it and move on. Change your morning routine. Write down the reasons you want to quit and keep it in a place you can refer to when you need it. Take it one day at a time. Another friend who quit said if I can make it an hour without smoking, I can go another hour. She said the same thing about a day, a week, a month, a year. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Keep reminding yourself why you want to quit. Try to change your routine as far as when/where you smoked. Don't go outside with the other smokers on your work break. Find something else to do when you would normally smoke.

Good luck! The patches worked for me I hope they work for you too!
    Unsocialized

Answer by Unsocialized at 9:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I just took it one day at a time, just seeing if I could go one more day. I tried to quit several times, but not being able to smoke during a bad case of bronchitis is what finally did it for me. I started exercising more if I felt stressed. Also, taking deep breaths when I feel stressed helped too. Smokers tend to be shallow breathers, so they get more oxygen when they inhale the smoke of a cigarette, but unfortunately you get all the bad stuff too. Sometimes consciously deep breathing helped when I was tempted to pick one up at a weak moment. It's been about 10 years since I quit, so it's been long enough that it grosses me out to be around smokers now. At first it was tempting though, so it's good to avoid situations where you usually smoke until you know you can get through it. I avoided the smoke break areas as work, and instead of smoking after meals I went for short walks. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The alternative cigarette has helped me.
    SunnieStyles

Answer by SunnieStyles at 10:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010