do you hate buying halloween costumes since they will only be worn 1 nite???

I think they are expensive and they are only worn once and only for a couple of hours..I just see no point. Yes I let my children dress up and have fun but have you noticed before the night is done your kids are taking off those annoying masks to breath fresh air?? Why not just paint their faces? and make a costume out of old material you have at home...

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• Yes, I especially hated it when my kids were small. But as they get older you can sometimes let them wear it again next year if they will allow it, LOL.
    I have considered selling the costume on eBay since I have purchased several costumes over the years from eBay why not sell it there?
    SunnieStyles

Answer by SunnieStyles at 9:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I buy them on ebay and resell them the next season. Last year my son was Buzz Lightyear and right now that costume is on ebay, this year he is a fireman and next year i'll sell it and buy what he wants to be on ebay
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My kids will wear them over and over after Halloween. If they choose not to use them as dress play, we donate them.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i try very hard to put together the costume from the thrift store ( i have even founds some new ones here in great shape cheap) or from things we already have around the house......honestly my pet peeve it the candy....i wish i could come up with something else to give away the kids would enjoy just as much and was just as cheap.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Sometimes we wait until the night before because then they are sometimes on clearance. Or we make them and go to like Goodwill and find cools stuff super cheap. Like one time my son was a fireman. I found black rubber boots, a yellow rain jacket, a plastic fireman toy hat. We went to the fire department and they gave us stickers. I put them on the arms of the jacket. I think it cost $2.00 total. I then rubbed some black stuff on his face and we were set.
    Another time I bought a few cheap white sheets. Ripped them up into strips. Put on a white t-shirt. Rubbed black around the eyes. wrapped strips around the entire body including the head..and it made an awesome Mummy. We are also Vampires a lot. We always have capes black n red and face paints. Its more fun making them.
    Now I keep a box full of costumes. We buy them at consignment stores or rummage sales throughout the year. My kids like to play dress up.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My kids wear the costumes year-round for play. If they didn't I'd have a different opinion. We also stick to costumes that are comfortable - no plastic masks. Last year the boys were Anakin Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi and the costumes got lots of use. This year they're Batman and Robin and I expect the same will happen.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Wait until a few days before. Last year everything I bought was half off. I don't mind buying it. I put it in a costume bin after and it can get used again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well this is my first actual halloween with my daughter, Last year she was a lion but she was only 2 months old, But I kept the costume for her keepsake box, this year she is a bumble bee and ill probally keep it and sale it at once upon a child or craigslist.
    tayysmommy

Answer by tayysmommy at 10:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Nope. We look forward to costume shopping every year... It's a blast. I never pay more than $25 for them and my kids have fun with them all year. They wear them for Halloween and then they go in their dress up chest after that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• When they were little, I bought pajamas or sweat shirts and pants and added make-up to have a costume. Red became a devil, blue became a super hero with a cape, green makes a jolly green sprout one year, turtle the next. Black became a cat. White became a bunny, tan-I added brown spots for a chocolate chip cookie. Then they can wear them again. When they were a little bigger and wanted purchased costumes, they used them after for play dress-up.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010