Changing cat litter while pregnant??

I changed a litter box the entire time i was pregnant with my daughter and had no problems. I found out i am pregnant again and have been changing the litter box everyday twice a day.. i wash my hands of course and use hand sanitizer. Should i really be too concerned. Our cats are inside cats that go outside like maybe 2 times a month to sit on the porch with us. I don't know why i'm so paranoid about it this time around though.. Just looking for a little easing of my mind i guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes you should be concerned. it is honestly a HUGE risk you are taking.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 9:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If there's no one else to do it, I'd at least wear rubber gloves when handling it. And of course keep washing and sanitizing afterward. I had my husband do it during both of my pregnancies, just to be on the safe side--it was a really nice break, lol.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I changed my cats' litter both times I was pregnant. With indoor cats, you don't really have to worry much about toxoplasmosis, because they are probably not eating any animals. You're probably more likely to get it from undercooked meat or gardening where outdoor cats do their business. I always wore gloves when I changed it, just as a precaution.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I never thought it was a big deal although I did have my DS change the litter when I was pregnant with our youngest (he was 10 at the time).

BUT found out that a college friend of mine handled a kitten before she even knew she was pregnant and her daughter has huge sight issues. A few surgeries and thick glasses forever. Don't take the risk. It's not worth it.

fwiw ob's suggest that you not even garden with bare hands in case cats poop there.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No it is not a concern because if you changed the cat litter prior to being pregnant then you most likely already contracted the germs that you get from cat litter. (forget the name of it) The difference is that it does not really do anything to you when you are not pregnant. You have already created the anti-bodies in your body. I have 4 kids and changed the cat litter with all of them....I was still a little cautious and covered my face and washed my hands. I like Pine litters best...less ammonia smells. ...My Dr. said it was fine if I had changed it prior to being pregnant.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• it isn't what you are touching it is what you are inhaling. So I would wear rubber gloves and a mask if you have nooone to help you. My DH cleaned it with both of my girls when I was pregnant I didn't want to take the chance.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My ob told me were I'm high risk then I was to not clean a litter box at all. I have a whole list of things I'm not allowed to do.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 9:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You should NOT be doing the litter boxes! You should not be breathing in the litter dust. Stop!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You should not be changing cat litter. But if you have no one to do it. I was told wear gloves, mask and wash really good after wards.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• ok i use a dust mask 4 my face and surgical gloves my dr said as long as i was protected it was safe..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010