Why are you so over-protective!?

I'm seriously almost crying right now! I'm seeing these moms say that their kids can never go to slumber parties because they may get molested, that they're going to move to wherever their kid is going to go to college, that they won't let their 8 year olds play in their privacy-fenced back yard alone.
I am so scared for these kids. When they grow up they are going to have no idea how to deal with life! I understand that thinking about what could happen to your child can be scary but I seriously believe that what you're not allowing your child to do is harming them. When did mothers become so afraid of life!?

kameka

Asked by kameka at 9:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sorry, but in this day and age, I don't think it is EVER a good idea to let a child play anywhere alone. Safety in numbers I guess. As for the slumber parties..mine will go when they are old enough. We let our kids live life ....but it is a different world from mine, when I just ran all day as long as I was home by the time the street lights were on.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't think the world is ALL that different, it is just much more highly publicized with the internet..... kids got abducted and killed in the 70's, you just didn't hear about it if it didn't happen in your town or area.

25 years ago, we would have never heard about Caylee Anthony or Kyron Horman.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I totally agree! I know the world is a harsh place, but it's a wonderful place at the same time & we cannot keep our kids from living LIFE because we harbor so many fears. FEAR = False Eexpectations Appearing Real.

Its the media that makes us so paranoid. Back in the day, we did not hear all the crap that happens around our country. These days, we turn on our television to many horrible stories & it implants fear in our minds. This is why i keep my news to a minimum. I'd rather read the important stuff online & leave the bad stuff alone. I know what goes on in this world, i don't need it to keep me down & paranoid.

I can see my DD out from my back wondow. Our fences are 16 feet high. I have no fears that something will happen to her. She is more than welcome to play in our back yard if we're out there or not.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand why you're about to cry over this...I am more inclined to feel sad for the children of parents who are OPPOSITE, who don't really seem to have the time/energy/care/brains to give 2 craps what their kids are doing or who they're with. Some people might consider me to be a bit over-protective, but that's my choice--my kids are well-loved and nurtured and will find out about all the ugly in the world soon enough. No need for you to feel bad for them.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am overprotective to some. My son is ten, and has never stayed over at a friends, however he has stayed over at his cousins houses, and had plenty of friends stay with him. He is allowed to play in our yard without me being out there, and ride his bike on our street (within sight distance). However, he can't go where I can't easily see him from our front porch alone. Do I deprive him? No. If he asked to stay at a friend's I would let him, if I met the kid's parents before hand. I think it is a fine line between being too concerned, and taking unnecessary risks.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Many people said I was overprotective. I home educated my children, didn't let them sleep over at other kids homes, did not let them go running around with kids (we did everything as a family), and didn't let them go off by themselves to play. And do you know what? All 15 of our children have been raised to be healthy, normal and happily married (9 of them so far are married), productive adults. And best of all they are all alive and none have been molested or raped!! Being a close knit and yes, very protective family IS BEST. I have proven that with many children!
    bren_darlene

Answer by bren_darlene at 9:49 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• vicesix;

You know there is a happy medium...

Just because i let her play in our back yard & allow her to go to sleep overs does not mean i dont give two "craps" or lack intelligence. I certainly care where she is going & what she is doing. i just don't walk around expecting something bad is going to happen to her. I know when my DD is safe.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:50 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• salexander - But it's not that different - just more advertised. The percentage of children kidnapped has not really changed in the past 20 years (maybe more, but it's really hard to find stats on it).
    kameka

Comment by kameka (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am one of those parents who has to know the parents for sleep overs. I don't allow my daughter to sleep over at one friend's house because there is a sex offender next door. My kids are 11 and 15 and I still have to know where they are and who they are with. Am I overprotective? Maybe I am. I grew up with parents who were foster parents. We took in kids who had suffered more than you can imagine. Over the years, we had more than 50 kids come and go and they all had one thing in common - the people who were supposed to care for them and protect them failed them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• vicesix - Seriously? In your comment you basically said that you can either smother or neglect your kids and there is no in between. Of course I 'give two craps' about my daughter and I want her to be as safe as can be - I also want her to have the chance to live life.
    kameka

Comment by kameka (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010