My daughter still eats stage 2 and stage 3 foods is that okay? She is 15 months old... But she will not take to the stage 3 vegetables only fruits - she also has some of what I have daily

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 4:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Totally okay. My son is almost 18 months and still eats stage 2 foods every day. He eats other things, too, and we're slowly moving away from the baby food. But he had a hard time transitioning to solid foods (he chokes easily) so the baby foods help him get enough variety and calories in his diet on a daily basis. There is no reason your LO can't continue eating baby food for awhile if that's what works.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:12 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I dont necessarily think it's bad, but she definitley needs those veggies! What about the stage 3 meals. (Lasagna, turkey dinner etc) Is she eating those??

Honestly my son was eating Stage 3 EVERYTHING by 8 months. He's almost totally table fed right now and feeding himself just about everything. How much of what you have daily is she eating and is she feeding herself?

I'd really start pushing veggies. Will she try the sweeter ones like sweet potatoes and carrots at least?? If she gets hungry enough she'll eat.

Good luck!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Oh Yes she does eat the veggies - but stage 2 (not stage 3 - she gags from stage 3 - she likes the stage 2 better. She basically eats the stage 2 veggies and starge 3 fruits
    TaylorBuz

Answer by TaylorBuz at 4:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• im surprised your still feeding her baby food at her age. my son was off baby food by about 13months. Maybe you need to just feed her table food so long as she can chew it easly. do pieces of sof potatos, green beans, cooked carrots lots of times its just a matter of them wanting change in diet.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My kids wouldnt eat any of that stuff anymore at that age. What about canned mixed veges and fruits. I had better luck with those,than the baby stuff after a certin point
    Anonymous

• Like I said about my son, some kids are just gaggers. I know it seems weird to those parents whose kids were eating anything and everything by the time they were a year old. But some kids just aren't ready for much in the way of table foods until they're older. Like someone else suggested, try steaming veggies to make them soft and mushable. But if she's gagging, she's not ready yet for that kind of texture. I've been over this and over this with my ped because I had the same concerns... lol... But she'll get there. Just take it slow. I promise she won't head off to first grade with a luch pail full of stage 2 baby food. :-) Nutritionally speaking, it sounds like she's good to go. You're doing good, mama.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:34 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Oh good, I'm glad she's getting veggies! I say as long as she's getting a balanced diet, even if she's still on baby food then you're doing your best. Kids are all different and just because my little guy is a year old and eating table foods and your daughter still wants the baby stuff doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong at all. She just isn't ready for that much texture yet. Just keep trying to introduce new stuff every once in a while. She'll get it.

Like BlueFrogMama said up there, Don't worry she's not going to be heading off to school with her lunch box full of baby food.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My doc said a lot of kids don't like stage three because of the texture. (often it is smooth but then has lumps in it, vegetables or pasta chunks) Just skip stage three and go right to soft table foods ( you said she ate some of what you eat, does she have trouble gagging with that?) If so just go slow like others have said. Otherwise if she does fine with table food, it may just be the uneven texture of the stage three that she doesn't like.
    woodj2

Answer by woodj2 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If she's eating some of what you have daily...she doesn't need baby food. Our pediatrician told me that not only is stage 3 a waste of money, it's a choking hazard! They're going along with the pureed stuff and all of a sudden hit a chunk.

Yes, some kids have problems with gagging when it comes to real food. If they are older than 1 1/2, that usually means there is a problem and they potentially need some help. (I said "usually" not "always")

My oldest is almost 5 and has a major problem with mixed textures. He does just fine with one at a time, but put a chunk in something smooth, he does some MAJOR gagging! He has been diagnosed with SPD. It's a sensory issue with him.
    Anonymous

• I would just take her off the baby food completely, and give her only what you are eating. The combination of baby food, and regular food might be confusing her. Oh, and don't even bother with the stage 3 foods. They are a waste of money, I actually could chop up food that I was eating smaller than what was in those jars!!!!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008