I cannot find sustainable work

I'm only working 12 hours a week. Seems that all part time jobs want open schedules (the c ompetitions allows this too). I really hate this. I've just gotten through a nine month stretch of applying for jobs (through sites and the job force) without any calls for interviews. The two that I did get before now were from walk-ins. I've been sleeping in my car during warm nights, and sleeping in friends houses when it gets cold. I am soooo broke. I really want to move where there are jobs, but I don't have any money for the transition.

I really need to move, but without money (even to split rent), I really need to consider a woman's shelter temporarily until I finally find a job.

How can I find out about Homeless shelters in various cities around the country with better economy and higher job potential?

Thanks

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 9:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Have you thought about selling MARK or AVON? If you do it right you can make A LOT of money and its really really cheap to start (MARK is $20 and I believe AVON is the same). I sell mark in my spare time and do pretty good for just selling here and there...
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 9:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• YOu can do a search online for shelters in your area. I hope you find a job soon! I would keep trying to walk into places and see if you can get an interview.Have you applied for factory work? The factory jobs around here pay ok but they arent part time. Can you do full time?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I see UPS is hiring for the holidays. Or H&R Block is starting classes for Tax season. After a couple of years of continued working there is potential to make good seasonal money.
    Do you have a resume? Have you checked out snagajob.com , or linkedin.com ,
    You can earn residual income here... www.stayinhomeandlovinit.com/Mommieshome . this is a business though so you work your way up but again another with great potential.
    I pray everything works out for you.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Some Salvation Armies have a shelter where women (and even their children) go to. Johnson City, TN (where I live) has one. I am unsure of other places. Most shelters seem to be for men, or women who have been abused or have substance abuse problems. But here, they do understand women go through difficulties. We have a place called the River that is for women only so they have a place to go during the day. They wash clothes, take showers, get supplies, get help on job openings and resumes.

Is there a library you can get to? Usually, they have internet access and you can get on there (here it is only an hour) and can search in that means. Also, some schools provide housing, that may be an option as well.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 10:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Factory job in my area (and other areas that I know) are either laying off or on a hiring freeze. Even when these factories are hiring, the job-seeker line is very long. (and this was before the economic downfall). Everybody wants factory jobs because they don't require a degree and have lots of benefits. So, only the really established people (because of competition) get those jobs. Not people like me that are just haning on the brink.
    BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Have you tried a temp agency? It's not steady work (although there are long term temp assignments and temp-to-hire assignments) but it's better than nothing.

If you want to find out where the jobs are, do searches online. Go to the online job boards and search by the type of job you would like. You may have to do this several times and in several categories before you figure out where the openings are. Try applying before you move there.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Lots of retailers and places like UPS are hiring for the holidays right now. Talk to local churches, they might be able to put you in contact with some women's resources for jobs, etc, Good luck momma!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010