do you think staring is considered harassment?

...because anyone can accuse you of looking at them right? What is a stare?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• lol all i can think of is my little niece age 4 screaming "mom, she's LOOKING at me!"
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• maybe it depends on what your staring at.. someones face no, breasts yes
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think it is rude.

Harrassment no. My kids get upset when someone stares at them, they are 14 and under. Childish.

I say look but don't touch... When someone stares at me I smile at them. Who cares? :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That's funny Figaro8895, my sister used to do that all the time :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• staring at someones breast though is one thing..yeah, you may not be able to take your eyes off of them..its not harrassment. its only harrassment if you are clearly stalking a person to ogle over their breasts
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• according to this source it is-
    http://www.un.org/womenwatch/osagi/pdf/whatissh.pdf

it's a document from the web site of the united nations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It absolutely can be a form of harassment. My previous boss harassed me that way. He wanted me out of a specific office that I worked in which I was the only female and had worked there over a decade. He belittled me by shaking his hand like he wanted me to make him coffee regularly since I was the only female & he thought that was a woman's job. I asked him to speak in private and explained that it was inappropriate behavior to do that to me in front of my co-workers because being the only female it took me many years to gain their respect in my position. Well, this enraged him so much, he would stand outside of my office door for hours at a time & just stare at me and not move. I complained to his superior but still, I was a female in a "male occupation" with all male supervisors as well. I ended up taking a leave of absence and not returning. So staring is unnerving & harassment. He was a SOB.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• paulie..i would say that your boss stalked you. yes, he did harrass you.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Depending on what is being stared at, how long one is being stared at, I would consider it harassment.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No, I don't think so...unless they go out of their way to follow you and constantly look at you. If it's a random thing, I don't think it's harassment.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010