How do you do rituals?

When performing any kind of ritual do you go by itmes and prayers from what a resource says to use or by what your heart says to use? Do you think it matters how you ask for guidance or should you do things in a specific way? I don't know if my question is comming across right or not. Hope someone can clarify this for me:) Thanks

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In Judaism, the prayers and blessings are set and you usually just say what the resource says. I prefer that because these were the same prayers and blessings our ancestors said years and years ago and I feel an extra connection that way.

keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It depends on your faith. Pagans and Wiccans go by different things but mostly what you feel. It can be a certain time of day, a moon cycle, etc. It depends on when you have proper time to devote to your ritual without interruptions. As long as you clear negativity before you begin from you and your space that is the most important thing, invoke the spirits and ask for their presence and guidance this will strengthen your ritual and your higher self.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm talking Pagan rituals:)
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, I'm an Eclectic Pagan, so my rituals are run mostly be emotion and MY connection to the divine. At this point my Sabbat Rituals are generally established beyond a few personal touches at each. However, while my Esbat Rituals are generally the same set up, they aren't set, each one is guided by my needs, emotions and feelings at that time. But I wrote them all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• There is no right or wrong. There may be better or worse...but no right or wrong.

You can take a ritual straight out of a book, or pull it out of thin air...or a combination of the two.
    Last year for Imbolc, my Circle did a mash up of an Alexandrian ritual and a Discordian ritual! And it worked!!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm Eclectic Pagan. My rituals are very personal and designed for a specific purpose. I haven't used Wiccan ritual format in my personal rituals for years now. I believe that most solitaries would benefit from following a source until they reach a level of comfort upon which they can adapt wholesale or start from scratch.

It's like cooking. You start by following a good recipe for a few times. Then you add a few tweaks here and there to make it your own. Sometimes the dish is a flop and sometimes it's great. No matter what, you've learned something just from trying something different.

I do think some things need to be done in a specific way to obtain a specific result. But it depends on what it is, or who's is being petitioned and who you are in this point of the cycle. You can always experiment, and if it happens to flop, well you've learned something.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I generally follow my traditions structure and add in what my heart tells me to add...my tradition is like the frame work and my heart is the furniture.. all together it is my home and place in the spiritual world.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I generally do both--sort of. I like to write my own incantations and I like to make them rhyme. But there are also spells from books that I use--sometimes by adapting them into my own manner of speaking. Both methods work equally well.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:32 PM on Oct. 21, 2010