How do you comfort your child when their friends hurt their feelings at school?

For instance, my DD1 is almost 4 and she has told me numerous times that other kids in her class are being mean to her and tellher they don't want to play with her. They have also told her that she is "not a special girl." Luckily my daughter is very tough, but I know that it really hurts her feelings. So, when she tells me these things I always reassure her that sometimes kids are just mean for no reason and that if they don't want to play with her then they are missing out, not her. What do you think the best way to deal with this is?

Patesmom

Asked by Patesmom at 10:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Speak to her Teacher immediately. The Teacher will handle this for you. Don't let it go. Do it ASAP. This is wrong especially since she is so young. Good luck!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree...talk to her teacher now and if the teacher won't do anything, talk to the principal or whoever you have to! Don't let it go any further. It could be worse then she's letting on!

My son won't take crackers to school anymore because another boy in his class makes fun of how he "dips" them in his soup (uses them like you would a tortilla chip in salsa. How pathetic is that? It pisses me off and I won't allow my kids to be treated like that!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I actually did speak to the Director of her daycare immediately and I constantly encourage Payton to stand up for herself, which she is very good at. It's just that,even though she knows how to stand up for herself, her feelings still get hurt. I explain to her that when people say things to her that aren't nice, she needs to tell them that they are not allowed to talk to her that way and she needs to tell her teacher. She's getting better about it, but I swear it takes every ounce of energy I have to not go into that daycare and have words with some of those bratty kids. My dayghter would never say the sorts of things that these kids say. It's unbelievable to me.
    Patesmom

Comment by Patesmom (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Oct. 19, 2010