Is it really that important to do craft projects with kids? Or is it enough that they have stuff to color and paint with?

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 10:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think spending quality time with your little ones is very important. It's a good bonding time.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I personally am not a big crafts person because my kids are in preschool and bring something home everyday. I do make sure they have playdoh, crayons and the option to pain at homet so they can practice. My 3 year old has been working very hard at staying in the lines while coloring and likes to practice at home.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I spend tons of time with him. Even when he's painting or coloring.
    fairyinabubble

Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't say its necessarily important as long as you are spending some kind of quality time with your kids teaching them how to do things or make things. I think it is important for a child to be able to look back when they grow up and have something special that "mom' taught them how to do or make. I'm teaching all of my kids how to cook and we always make our own Christmas tree ornaments. We don't do crafts year round but we do bake/cook year round and they love it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's all about expanding their minds, helping them learn, and encouraging them to use their bodies. Such as hand/eye coordination for example. Whether it's doing crafts, playing with toys, playing sports outside it doesn't really matter. As long as they're getting active and expanding their mind with new ideas and new projects. I consider painting and color craft projects, so to me that's a good start. You don't actually have to make homemade puppets or do macaroni art, but it might be fun for them. Again, however you expand their mind, help them learn, and encourage them to use their bodies is fine. Just as long as you are.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:29 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It is very important to do crafts with them. This is a time of bonding with them. It let's them know in just one more form that mommy cares and loves being with them. It is also another opportunity to structure them in a positive manner. With all the other things you have to do I know it can be a touch difficult but the rewards outweighs that
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Children imitate. If they see Mom making a craft, they learn from watching her. They learn ways of doing things that they hadn't thought of.

Answer by Bmat at 10:31 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am a crafty person so I like having different types of craft projects for kids at home. If you are into a type of craft, your child may be also. But I think , whether you do organized crafts with them or not, they should have access to crayons, markers, paint, glue, glitter, paper of different types, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, different types of things. While sometimes we moms think all they are doing with that type of thing is creating a mess that we have to clean up, we are actually giving them a creative outlet and another way of learning. Fine and gross motor skills, hand eye coordination, those are just a few things that are going on when they play with art. A lot of these items can be found at dollar stores or you can make your own in some cases. The biggest point is to have fun!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, if you're not a "crafty" person and neither are your kids, I don't see the point. Find something else that you all enjoy doing, and do that instead.
    Sometimes my kids and I do crafts, sometimes we bake, sometimes we play computer games, board games, and sometimes we just chase the dogs outside. It's all a matter of what you enjoy doing.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I never do crafts with my kids. They go to school and daycare and do plenty there. We bond and read and cook. I just hate the mess of crafts! The most I will do is draw pictures.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010