Creepy experience! Anyone else have this happen?

My 20-month-old is very verbal. Last night we were laying on his big boy bed to talk before I put him in his crib to sleep. Suddenly, he was startled, and he sat up in bed. He was very still, like he was listening to something. Then he looked at me with his hands up. "Where'd man go?"

Despite the chill that jet down my spine, I kept my cool. "What man?"

He pointed to the bedroom door. "Outside, mama? Bye bye man. Outside."

Now let me just say that my son only uses the word "man" for strangers. Obviously daddy is "daddy" to him. Not only that, but my husband was at a baseball game when this happened. The only light in the room was coming from the door he was pointing to, so there were no shadows or anything for him to misinterpret.

Maybe he was just practicing a random combination of words, but it was eerie. And it got me thinking. I don't even know if I believe in ghosts. What am I supposed to tell him?

MrsBlack616

Asked by MrsBlack616 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nothing now, just assure him that you are keeping him safe. Take the necessary precautions in your home and neighborhood. Do not let him pick up on your fear if possible.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My eldest daughter did this to me for many years, when I tucked her into bed she use to tell me, be careful with the man at the edge of the bed, she saw him there every night for years, but she wasn't afraid of him. Some kids have that extra sense and I attribute it to their guardian angel, at least this is what I told my daughter and there was no fear, but it creeped me out too!

Answer by older at 10:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Creepy. Maybe he was dozing and started to dream?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That is a little creepy. But see how he acts throughout the day and if he says it again, and looks for this man or is talking to him.

At his age it is hard for him to express WHAT he looks like, or wearing.......etc. Could be something paranormal or just something random.

Just pay attention to your surroundings and how your son is during the day/night. What he says..etc.

If anything you can take random photos and join "The Haunted Realm" and have a few gifted women on there take a look at photos of your house and the rooms.......they've helped me before.

Good luck Momma!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 10:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Hmm that is kinda creepy, but like the above poster said, don't let him catch on to your fear. Maybe it's a deceased loved one of yours coming to visit? Like your grandfather for example, who passed before your son was born.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Children and animals are very aware of spirits. It seems spirits are very comfortable with them if you believe in spirits at all. My DD when she was 3 did the same thing. It was unnerving to me because at that time I was thinking she seen a real man. Your little guy may have seen one and reacted normally for a child. I'm glad he wasn't scared.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He wasn't sleeping. We were talking about where everyone in the family works. He was just teling me that Nana works at the clinic when this happened. And it took him a long time to fall asleep after I laid him down too. (Which I felt horrible about since I left him in there by himself. But it was 8:30 and he was way past his bedtime! And there's no such thing as ghosts right?)
    MrsBlack616

Comment by MrsBlack616 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That's so strange! I recently went through this with my 3 year old. He went into the bathroom and came out and said "Mommy there was a man in there with me, but I wasn't afraid. He just wanted to love on me." I found this very odd since he never says things like that. I asked him what he looked like and he said "Nice and lovable and was wearing a robe". I think they just go through stages, but I agree it's creepy!
    Mommy_In_Love

Answer by Mommy_In_Love at 11:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I sometimes wonder if children have the ability to see angels.... :)
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thank you everybody for the comments! It is comforting to bring it down to a more casual level. It's just hard to know what that was about when I'm not even sure what I believe.
    MrsBlack616

Comment by MrsBlack616 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Oct. 19, 2010