Are you in one of the sates where poverty is rising the most?

Among the hardest-hit states are Louisiana, Mississippi and certain areas of Texas. States with the lowest poverty statistics include Wyoming, Hawaii, Minnesota and several East Coast states.
Though suburban areas are now home to one-third of America's poor, large cities have not been immune to the effects of the recession. Residents of cities like New York, Los Angeles and Miami have seen some of the biggest drops in personal income in the last year.

Crippling poverty rates in many of America's hardest-hit regions have been accompanied by several other disturbing trends for the middle class. Income inequality hit an all-time high before the recession, according University of California, Berkeley, economist Emmanuel Saez. States, faced with an estimated budget shortfall of $380 billion for 2011, have started to cut crucial services and have laid off thousands of workers.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think we have been fairly lucky. We have not really been hit hard by the recession, DH lost his job in the first round of the auto industry lay offs in 2007, and it felt like the world was ending at the time, but he was able to find employment almost immediately, even though he had to wait three months to start!

,During that three months, I thanked my lucky stars we'd squirreled money away... even as poor as we were. My area seems fairly ok.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am in Louisiana...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:54 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• not there but I know a lot of people that believe we must be.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i live in the state of new york.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I also want to add. I have no health insurance. I make $9.00/hr and qualify for food stamps, medicaid and free lunch for my son.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• And yet the rich in this country are getting richer....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• According to the map in your link, my particular area isn't the highest. Looks like the highest areas are near the border in my state.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I suspect that map is much darker red now than it was when that data was collected. Unemployment is much worse since then, and more people have dropped off the rolls completely, but that change isn't accounted for there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I bet those areas in TX are right on the Mexican border. People are trying try leave those areas They are already depressed.
    Texas has brought in more new businesses than any other state in the past 2 yrs and has hired over 850,000 people. We have
    plenty of jobs where I am outside of Houston.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Looks like the highest areas are near the border in my state.

I know of an AF base near the border where family members won't PCS if they can't get base housing because of the border issues/security issues in the town... It wasn't like that in the '90's.... A growing trend that could be related to the "poverty issue" in some geographic issues... Security concerns drives families away...  Especially the ones who can afford to leave. Leaving behind those who can't afford to move to safer areas.  Thus the issue isn't so much that poverty has increased.. More-so that wealth has left the area....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010