As a mother, do you think you should be able to...

Read and write coherently? Do you think it is your responsibility as a parent to teach your children how to do the same? Why or why not?

P.S. (this is for CafeMom) WHY is SpellCheck not an option when asking a question?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was just wondering about the spell check myself.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:57 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes!! It makes me CRAZY to read someone's paragraph on here that is all one sentence with no punctuation or capitalization. We are teaching our son to write thank you cards (although he's really too young still to understand) and working on writing his name. In the days of texting and e-mails, people are losing the skill of the written word, and it's our job as parents to make sure our kids have that skill.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:58 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• um no if that were the case several 3 world countries would b population-less.. i kno ppl who cant read and are great parents..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:59 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Kitty just proved your point.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't think that someone has to be great at spelling or grammar to be a good mother. It helps, sure, but is it absolutely necessary? No. Someone can be street smart without being book smart, and sometimes the former can be a lot more helpful when parenting a child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:01 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My mother was illiterate. She had learning disabilities, but that didn't stop her from taking care of her children....I was taught to read and write at school, and she made sure I got there every day with clean clothes on....I don't think mother's should be so judgemental of other mothers. You have no idea what their lives are like...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes I absolutely think as a mother I should be able to read and write!!! It is definitely my responsibility to teach my children as much as I can for the first 5 years of their life. (and beyond) My 3 kids knew how to read and write before they went to school and so did I. Why do I think is? It's what a good parent does, that's why!
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• And as for responsibility...I will personally make sure that my son knows how to read and write well.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Of course as a parent is something you should be able to do, but I don't think it makes you any less of a parent if you cannot. If it's something you can't do, hopefully you want better for your kids and provide better for them by sending them to school each day.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would rather be around a mother who can not read or write and be an amazing mother than one who lacks respect and lacks in teaching respect.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2010