should i be upset????

my daughter is gonna be 2 in less then 3 weeks and she has not had a bottle from since she was 10 months but her fathers parents seem to think when they have her its fine for her to have a bottle even tho i send her sippy cups and i have asked them not to give her bottles i get really upset cause she comes home and asks me for a bottle and i jsut tell her she is a big girl only babies take bottles what should i do?????

izabelsmommy06

Asked by izabelsmommy06 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell them off and let them know that she is YOUR daughter, not theirs, she's a big girl, not a baby and if they can't respect your wishes then don't plan on seeing her until they do respect your wishes.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Do what I did with my mom .... throw all the bottles in the trash so there is no choice but to give her the sippy cup. Give them the option of either they quit with the bottles or they could just come on your turf to she her until they comply. If you allow them to start walking over you now they will do it for the remainder of your child's life.
    midnightmoet

Answer by midnightmoet at 4:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• thanks.... i know they sent her with a bottle one day and i guess im a bit** for doing this but when we got out to the car they were on the porch watching us drive off and i threw the bottle out the window it just upsets me because its gonna mess her teeth up and everything
    izabelsmommy06

Answer by izabelsmommy06 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would tell them that if they want to continue seeing YOUR child, that they had better follow the same guidelines for her that you have set for her at home. And if they will not stop giving her sippy cups, then don't take her there for awhile. It seems crude but I've been in a similar situation, it worked for me.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:51 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i would be really pissed off, not just upset. i would only let them take her if tey really agree to not give her a bottle anymore. They are just grandparents and then they make you out to be the bad guy because you wont give her a bottle when she wants one. tell them that they are underminding you and its not good for your daughter
    peidman90

Answer by peidman90 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You need to have her father talk to his parents and just explain that you do not want her to drink from a bottle, if they do not start following your request, shorten your visits or only have supervised visits until they will listen :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 5:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Thats just the beginning of them defying your authority. I'd put my foot down NOW!! Let them know what you say is how it is when it comes to your daughter. If they won't stop giving her a bottle, don't let her go there, even if it means finding another sitter. I think if you don't "lay down the law" they will find other ways to go against your parenting choices, too, and that's not acceptable.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:41 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Honestly I would say "Look, 'Suzie' is a big girl now, so she drinks from sippy cups. Not only that, but it is also unhealthy for her teeth for her to continue to use a bottle at this age. If you will not stop giving her a bottle, then she won't be able to come visit you. I have to do what is best for her."
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You and your husband need to stand together on this issue. He needs to let his parents know that he is behind you on this decision. If they see that you two do not stand together on this issue, they will try to get around other issues by going to him. My son is 14 months and I'm trying to wean him off nap time and bed time bottles but my Mom gets fed up with his crying and comes in there and just gives him the bottle. A whole weeks worth of work, right out the window. And I can't just shorten our visits at the moment. We're staying with my folks until after christmas and I'm just praying I can make it that long!
    JuliaDanielle

Answer by JuliaDanielle at 10:20 AM on Oct. 29, 2008