Ever cook a goose for Christmas?

Any advice? Tips? Where do I even begin! My mother wants one for Christmas and I'm wondering is there a way I could get maybe a small one.

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 11:06 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The younger (therefore smaller) the goose, the better it tastes. A good size is eight to 12 pounds. Larger (older) birds can be tough.
    You can ask your local grocer if he can order one for you. A goose has much more fat than a chicken or turkey, although the meat itself is lean. There are easily detached pods of fat that can be pulled out of the goose. Do not discard. Put the fat in a container to render later.After removing the obvious fat, prick the goose all over the skin, taking care not to pierce the meat. This gives the remaining fat an escape route during cooking.The next step is to prepare a stuffing. (You can, of course, roast a goose without stuffing.)The fat that accumulates in the roasting pan should be siphoned off occasionally with a bulb baster so it doesn't catch fire. Remember, don't even think about throwing out the fat. Goose is not to everyone's taste. It has a stronger flavor, but can be very good.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Where do you even buy a goose to cook? lol.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:09 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• There isn't much meat on a goose. If you can get the largest one you can. You would cook just like a chicken, but put it in a deep roasting pan because goose skin contains alot of fat almost twice as much as a chicken. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:10 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Never done it, but wouldn't mind trying it at least once.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No, I am originally from Louisiana and we would either have turducken or gumbos>
    softie100

Answer by softie100 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ihartu, I'm over here laughing because I have pretty much the same question. I wonder if I can find one in our dinky little town. Maybe the next one over will have some. But my mom is getting older and she's getting nostalgic for times gone by.

jewjewbee, thanks for the advice. Now I know what to look for at least. : )
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thank you, Sweetluci. Just curious, what do you do with the fat?
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Both sound delicious, softie, and I know gumbos are. I could probably get away with cooking a gumbo for Christmas eve, but not Christmas itself! : )
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010