Special needs/homeschooling parents...We don't want our 6 year old non-verbal son with Autism going to a public school...

He started preschool when he was 3, & has gone to a public school every year but this one, our choice. Most of the schools around here are crap anyway, in our opinion. We are considering homeschooling, as a last resort, but have no idea where to start! We live in Ohio. Any parents of special needs kids experienced with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Homeschooling in general:  http://www.hslda.org/

Homeschooling special needs children:  http://www.nathhan.com/

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:13 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My oldest has Down Syndrome and we'll be homeschooling, he's only 2 right now. My husband and I are both homeschool graduates so homeschooling has always been in the game plan for us. If you have any questions I might be able to help you with send me a message and I'll do my best to help out =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My son is 17 and is nonverbal autistic. We have been homeschooling for the past 5 years or so. For my son I read most of his stuff to him --literature, history, etc, and we do some science projects together and i help him with math the best I can. He isn't big on writing so we practice a little bit. A big part of his day is working on life skills.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My dd has mild aspergers...and if she was non verbal I WOULD home school her as well! KUDOS to you for doing what is best for your son.

Look for a local home school group, they would be the best place to get started. They know all the requirements and would give support to a new mom!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Thank you ladies for your answers. I will keep you all in mind if I should have more questions, which I'm sure I will! I posted Anon because I figured I'd get bashed eventually by someone who knows nothing about the subject, & I don't want any drama! Thanks for giving me some leads & ideas.
    nicksmom604

Answer by nicksmom604 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Anyone who thinks "one size fits all" for kids and school is just uneducated! No one should bash you!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010