Does your Gas Man come inside your home to read the meter?

I HATE that. Our meters around here are all inside- usually in the basement. It just creeps me out when I'm alone and have to let a stranger inside. I'm always prepared to be attacked though... keep that ball bat handy!

Are your gas meters inside or outside?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:15 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• At my mothers it's inside, in the basement as well, they should have a uniform and ID on, and the prvious bill usualy says when the next meter reading is, so if someone comes weeks sooner then don't let them in. You also have the ability to phone in the reading yourself!

At my house the meter is outside and the meter reader can read it electronically from his car.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• LOL..I have no gas at my house, but, everywhere that I have lived that had gas had an outside meter.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:16 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would hate that too. Ours is outside.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No gas here, but everywhere that there was gas where we lived, the meter was outside.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• BradenIsMySon... the newer homes that are being built around here all have outdoor meters. I just don't get why they'd be inside in the first place...
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I do not have gas either and that seems very odd.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The meter is outside, I can understand having it inside being a pain in the neck!

Answer by older at 11:18 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine is outside, but to be honest, it wouldn't bother me too much. I've let maintenance men in often.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mom2Jack04... they always have an ID and a uniform on- but then again Ted Bundy had a uniform and a badge and he sure as hell wasn't a cop! lol. It's just scary. My husband is always sleeping in the bedroom (he works 3rd) when they come to read the meter but it doesn't really do anything to calm my fears.

I'll have to look into calling the reading in- thanks for telling me about that!
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Our meter is outside, I would not want them inside my house either. You never know what kind of people are doing those jobs.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2010