the link between obesity and poverty...

What do you think about this article.

Are people in poverty more likely to be overweight, and what can be done about it?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It is very sad but true. The city I work in is one of the poorest in Michigan... very few people are employed, even fewer have cars and there is ONE grocery store on the bus line. It is much easier for a family to walk next door to 7-11 and use their food stamps...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Too many food stamps? Freedom to purchase any kind of fatty junk one can find with the fs's?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:25 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's because pasta is much cheaper than fruit and veggies. It's much cheaper to eat unhealthy. Salad and fresh veggies are more expensive.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I know my kids ate better and had more snacks available when I had food stamps. They give you too much so you end up buying junk food just to spend them all.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm sure there is a definite link.It's easier to buy a handgun than fresh produce in poverty striken areas. The mentality of it all is where the problem is. When a person knows better they do better, and that encompasses their finances, child rearing, work ethic and food choices. Government never fixed poverty they won't fix obesity.
    A FDA rep came to our highschool recently about the obesity issue, and my son beraded her with questions regarding the governments role in obesity. Basically he told her that her food pyramid was a scam when subsidies were supplied to the food groups we are being told Not To Eat. She was left speechless by him when he recommended the food pyramid be changed into an oval with fruits and veggies in the middle making up the bulk of one's diet.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:28 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• In other nations, those who are at poverty levels are in many cases literally starving... But in industrialized nations? Nope. Not even the best programs offered for free will change one's life.. It's about taking personal responsibility for their lives and the lives of their family. There are 20 minute workouts families can do for FREE... But they have to take the time to do it.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• hmm..could this be a conspiracy? maybe the government is passing out so many foodstamps hoping everyone will buy all these fatty foods and kill over with a heart attack by the age of 50..this is what i call population control
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I didn't read the article, but the face of poverty in America is obesity. Empty carbs are used to fill the belly but lacks nutrition as well as puts on the pounds...it's an out of balance diet....When I was young, I know of a family who would buy flour, lard and baking powder and milk and live on biscuits and gravy...their children got really fat, but its all they could afford...things like ramen is cheap, and a lot of people buy kookaid and sodas because it's cheap and sweet and gives energy....what can we do about it? Not sure...I know that someone I know gives cooking classes to people on wic and foodstamps to show them how to cook nutritious and cheap, but some people just don't have the money to do that much....it is definitely a problem...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010