Do women/girls still wear slips under their dresses and skirts?

When I was little, I wasn't allowed out of the house in a dress or skirt without a slip underneath. Even my school uniform, that was thick as hell and not see through in the least, had to have a slip under it, and my mom would make me lift it up just to check that I was wearing one.

Does anyone- besides old ladies that is- still wear slips?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:33 AM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• if the dress or skirt doesnt have one built in then yes...if i don't then my ass will eat it (if ya know what i mean)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would think for a skirt thats wool, so it doesn't make you itchy, or if it's a light color so you can't see through it... I would for those reasons but otherwise,no...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:36 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wish sometimes certain people would wear something under their dress!!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• BTW, I have a spandex body slip, it helps my dresses hang nice, and not cling to me...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They are hard to find, but yes, you can still buy them. I have a few dresses that I wear them with, but I buy most of my dresses lined so that I don't have to.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• ...oh gawd I feel old. Yes. Still own, still wear. I can't imagine putting on Sunday clothes and going to church without a slip on.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:37 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Unless what I'm wearing has one sewn in or is thick enough that it won't be see through in the right light, I still wear one.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I rarely wear dresses, but if I were wearing a light colored dress I would want a slip. I'm 30. I grew up with them as well.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't own a slip, haven't in years. I think part of wearing a slip was because it was needed under sheer material or wool material. But I think that partly it was just custom. My mother is 94 and lives in an assisted living. She insists on wearing slips, and it is hard for me to find them for her because she is very short. Usually I have to hem them up.
    IhartU-you brought back a memory of one of my first jobs, in a very fancy restaurant. When we came in to work, we had inspection to make sure our fingernails were clean and neat, that our shoes and uniform were clean and neatly ironed, and we had to stand in front of a lit walkway to make sure we had on a slip, (it was a fairly dark restaurant) If you could see our "form", we had to take two white cloth napkins and pin them inside the skirt part of the uniform. That was in the 60's, and we didn't consider it anything but normal.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:52 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would think only if it's clingy. My daughter doesn't own one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:34 AM on Oct. 19, 2010