How long does it take for breast milk to dry up if you quit breastfeeding?

My nipples have become very sore & cracked, to the point it's very painful to breastfeed right now. I go to my 6 week check-up tomorrow, so I can discuss this with my Dr. I was wondering if I have to quit breastfeeding, how long will it take for my milk to dry up?

nicksmom604

Asked by nicksmom604 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• It can take months. Try rubbing some breast milk on them. Or you should try pumping. Give your poor nipples a little break. Give the baby your pumped milk in a bottle. Whatever you do, don't quit cold turkey. You will be in so much pain. Give up 1 feeding every 4-5 days. Do it over a few weeks. Otherwise you will get engorged.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure that you are putting tons of Lanolin on them, but if you don't want to quit, maybe talk to him about using nipple shields. You can still breastfeed then, but it gives your nipples kind of a break from the direct contact. Otherwise I think my milk took about 2 months to completely dry up, but I stopped at 6 months and I did it very slowly.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine never fully dried up... You can take herbs or drink No More Milk tea that will help to speed things along...

earthmamaangelbaby.com has a free EBook with the herb information & they sell the No More Milk tea too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• As long as a year. But make sure you get the latch checked. And use Lansinoh.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010