Should I tell the apartment manager that the kids my daughter plays with broke the apartment lamp?

A new kid came to play last night,I've seen him once or twice before and he got really excited and was playing hard with a plastic ball,him and another boy who lives across from my place.Well the lamp is right by our door,it's the neighbors lamp and it looks ugly without the lamp there.I'm sure those neighbors,well maybe they haven't noticed it yet but they will want it to look that way again,I'm sure,is it their responsibility to ask for another one?I don't want the manager to know because then she might say the kids can't play outside by their homes and they have so much fun playing afterschool and after dinner.I'm sure the kids learned their lesson not to kick balls so close to the apartment.I will pay more attention next time when the new kid comes around,what should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell the apartment manager that there is a broken lamp infront of whatever apartment it is and how it was broken. Then have the kids to chores or whatever to pay for the broken lamp. By not telling, you are teaching the kids that it is ok to break something and not tell or be responsible for their actions. It was an accident, I am sure the apartment manager will understand and from now on, when the kids want to kick around a ball, take them to a park or father away from the apartments.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Take responsibility...

You must be honest, I agree with Tyfry7496. You are not setting a good example. It was an accident-new kid old kid. Kids will be kids.
    It was an accident so the child needs to be honest, and you need to get them to be honest.

Hopefully, they did learn a lesson and that is that.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Regardless of who broke the lamp it is your responsibility and it is on you to replace it not the manager's. I agree with tyfry7496, you have to teach the children to take responsibility for their actions as well. Chores are a good way to do that.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with the others, you need to take responsibility. It's a good lesson to teach the kids, I'd definitely take them with to go talk to the manager and have them apologize.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 1:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2010